The Denver Nuggets (23-22) will be at home in Pepsi Center when they challenge the Phoenix Suns (16-29). The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 218 points with Denver opening as a 9-point favorite. Action starts at 9 p.m. ET on Friday, January 19, 2018, and it can be seen on Altitude Sports & Entertainmnt.
Phoenix Suns at Denver Nuggets Free Preview
The Suns fell to the Portland Trail Blazers in their last contest, 118-111. Phoenix’s Devin Booker had a good performance, leading both teams in scoring with 43 points on 14-for-29 shooting. Portland had a turnover percentage of 8.6 (better than their season average of 12.7). Phoenix, meanwhile, did a fantastic job of converting from the free throw line (21-22; 95.5 percent).
In the Nuggets last matchup, they were topped by the Los Angeles Clippers, 109-104. With 16 points and 14 rebounds, Denver’s Mason Plumlee had a solid performance. Los Angeles had a better free throw rate (0.218 vs. 0.155). Denver, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 38.5 (above their season average of 26.7).
Expect Denver to own the offensive glass in this contest. The Nuggets are among the NBA’s elite on the offensive glass, ranking second in offensive rebounding percentage at 27.0 percent. Meanwhile, Phoenix ranks 25th in the league at corralling defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 76.2 percent.
Of Phoenix’s 45 games, 22 have finished over the O/U total, while 27 of Denver’s 45 games have finished under the projected point total. The Nuggets have the superior straight up (SU) record (23-22 vs. 16-29), but both teams have comparable against the spread (ATS) records. Denver is 20-23-2, while Phoenix is 21-22-2 ATS.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined for 245 points, well over the projected point total of 218.5. The Nuggets won 134-111, covering as 13-point favorites. The Nuggets dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a phenomenal effective field goal percentage of 0.695 and a free throw rate of 0.244. The Suns had marks of 0.495 and 0.217, respectively, for those same stats. Gary Harris was the games leading scorer with 36 points.
Phoenix Suns vs. Denver Nuggets Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Nuggets, ATS Winner – Nuggets, O/U – Under
- The Nuggets average 13.5 fast break points per game, which ranks ninth in the NBA. The Suns rank 28th in fast break points allowed per game (14.0).
- Denver ranks 12th in points off turnovers per game (17.4) while Phoenix ranks 26th (14.7).
- Denver ranks seventh in assists per game (23.4) while Phoenix ranks 25th (20.9).
- On the road, Phoenix is 12-8-1 ATS with 12 overs and 9 unders.
- Denver is 12-9 ATS at home with 13 unders and 8 overs.
- In games where they hold opponents below 100 points, Phoenix is 5-2 and Denver is 12-2.
- The Nuggets are 18-13 when they reach the century mark, while the Suns are 12-17.
- The Nuggets rank 12th in steals per game (7.9) while the Suns rank 29th (6.6).
- Denver ranks first in second chance points per game (15.0) while Phoenix ranks 28th in second chance points allowed per game (13.7).
- The Nuggets average 49.0 points in the paint per game, which ranks third in the NBA. The Suns rank 26th in points allowed in the paint per game (47.6).
- The Nuggets average 4.6 blocks per game, which ranks 17th in the NBA. The Suns rank 24th in blocks allowed per game (5.3).
- Denver ranks second in rebounds allowed per game (41.1) while Phoenix ranks 24th (45.2).
- Denver is 1-4 ATS with 5 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Phoenix is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Nuggets have been outscored by an average of 7.6 points in their last five games. On the season, Denver has defeated opponents by an average of 0.5 points.
- During their last five games, the Suns have scored an average of 101.2 points per game (4.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 110.6 points per game (1.8 below their season average).