The Dallas Mavericks (24-57) welcome the Phoenix Suns (20-61) to American Airlines Center to commence their Western Conference schedules. Action gets underway at 8:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday, April 10, 2018, and can be seen on Fox Sports – Arizona.
Phoenix Suns at Dallas Mavericks ATS Odds
Both teams fell in their last contest. The Mavericks fell to the Philadelphia 76ers, 109-97, while the Suns were defeated by the Golden State Warriors, 117-100.
Phoenix held Golden State to an offensive rebounding percentage of 12.2 (below their season average of 21.2) while Dallas had a better turnover percentage (9.9 vs. 9.3). Dennis Smith Jr. had a solid performance for Dallas with 20 points, 11 assists and five rebounds. Danuel House had a good game for Phoenix, contributing 22 points and eight rebounds.
Dallas could put on a ball-control clinic in this contest. Dallas ranks second in the NBA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 12.1 percent), while Phoenix forces the second-fewest turnovers (12.8 percent). This contest should be a matchup of contrasting styles. The up-and-down Suns rank third in possessions per game, while the more methodical Mavericks rank 26th.
Suns games have gone under the O/U total 50.6 percent of the time. Phoenix heads into the contest with records of 20-61 straight up (SU) and 36-43-2 against the spread (ATS).
Just over half of Mavericks games have also finished under the O/U total. Moreover, Dallas is 24-57 SU and 41-39-1 ATS.
Tyler Ulis has been playing at a high level recently for Phoenix, averaging 16.0 points, 7.2 assists and 1.2 steals over the last five games.
In their two contests this year, the Suns have won both. The two teams combined to put up 190 points in their most recent game, which was well under the projected point total of 211. Phoenix won 102-88, covering as a 3-point underdog. Phoenix’s effective field goal percentage was its largest advantage over Dallas. The Suns had a rate of 0.548 while the Mavericks posted a mark of 0.420. Marquese Chriss put up a double-double in the victory with 15 points and 12 rebounds.
Phoenix Suns vs. Dallas Mavericks ATS Pick
NBA Tip: SU Winner – Suns, ATS Winner – Suns, O/U – Over
- The Suns rank 12th in rebounds per game (44.1) while the Mavericks rank 27th (41.3).
- Dallas ranks first in points off turnovers allowed per game (13.8) while Phoenix ranks 29th (18.7).
- The Suns rank 11th in second chance points per game (12.9) while the Mavericks rank last (10.2).
- Phoenix ranks seventh in fast break points per game (14.2) while Dallas ranks 26th in fast break points allowed per game (14.1).
- Dallas ranks fourth in three pointers attempted per game (32.8) while Phoenix ranks 20th (27.9).
- The Mavericks rank eighth in blocks allowed per game (4.5) while the Suns rank last (6.0).
- The Mavericks rank eighth in steals allowed per game (7.3) while the Suns rank 25th (8.7).
- Dallas ranks 16th in assists per game (22.7) while Phoenix ranks 28th (21.1).
- Phoenix ranks 10th in points in the paint per game (45.9) while Dallas ranks 29th (38.6).
- Phoenix is 7-2 when they allow below 100 points, while Dallas is 16-13.
- The Suns are 15-36 when they reach 100 points, while the Mavericks are 18-28.
- Dallas is 20-20 ATS at home, while Phoenix is 22-17-1 ATS on the road.
- In 40 road games, the Suns have 21 unders, 18 overs and 1 push.
- Of the Mavericks’ 40 home games, they have 21 unders, 18 overs and 1 push.
- In their last five games, Phoenix and Dallas have both had 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Mavericks are 2-2-1 ATS over their last five games, while the Suns are 3-2.
- During their last five games, the Mavericks have scored an average of 101.0 points per game (1.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 106.8 points per game (1.7 above their season average).
- The Suns’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 8.8, down from 9.8 for the season.