The Portland Trail Blazers (22-21) will be at home in Moda Center at the Rose Quarter when they challenge the Phoenix Suns (16-28). Tip-off is scheduled for 10 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 16, 2018, and it can be seen on NBATV.
Phoenix Suns at Portland Trail Blazers Odds Preview
In the Suns last contest, they got blown out by the Indiana Pacers, 120-97. Phoenix’s Alex Len put up 12 points and 10 rebounds in the game. Indiana had a turnover percentage of 6.0 (better than their season average of 12.3). Phoenix, meanwhile, did an excellent job of making free throws (18-24; 75.0 percent).
The Trail Blazers are trying to rebound after their 120-103 loss to the Minnesota Timberwolves in their last matchup. Damian Lillard led Portland in scoring with 21 points on 7-for-14 shooting. Minnesota did a great job of making free throws (27-33; 81.8 percent). Portland, meanwhile, held the Timberwolves to an offensive rebounding percentage of 18.9 (below their season average of 25.2).
Portland could have their way on the defensive side of the ball as they square off against one of the NBA’s worst offenses. The Trail Blazers rank fifth in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.505), while Phoenix is 29th in effective field goal percentage (0.496).
Of Phoenix’s 44 games, 22 have finished under the O/U total, while 26 of Portland’s 43 games have finished under the O/U total. The Trail Blazers have the clear advantage straight up (SU) (22-21 vs. 16-28), but both teams have similar against the spread (ATS) records. Portland is 19-20-4, while Phoenix is 20-22-2 ATS.
These two teams have met twice already this season, with the Trail Blazers winning both. In the most recent contest, the Suns lost 114-107 but covered as 12-point underdogs. Devin Booker scored a game-high 34 points and also added six rebounds and six assists. The two teams combined for 221 points, which was just 3 points above the projected point total of 218 points. The Trail Blazers played a nearly perfect game. They had a turnover percentage of 11.9 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 26.1. The Suns recorded marks of 14.5 and 22.6, respectively, for those same stats.
Phoenix Suns at Portland Trail Blazers Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Trail Blazers, ATS Winner – Trail Blazers, O/U – Over
- The Trail Blazers average 12.6 second chance points per game, which ranks 13th in the NBA. The Suns rank 28th in second chance points allowed per game (13.8).
- Portland ranks 14th in steals allowed per game (7.8) while Phoenix ranks 26th (8.8).
- Portland ranks 13th in points off turnovers allowed per game (15.9) while Phoenix ranks 27th (18.9).
- Portland ranks second in three pointers allowed per game (25.6) while Phoenix ranks 11th (27.8).
- Phoenix is 11-8-1 ATS on the road with 11 overs and 9 unders.
- Portland is 6-11-3 ATS at home with 14 unders and 6 overs.
- When allowing below 100 points, Portland is 14-4 and Phoenix is 5-2.
- The Suns are 12-16 when they score more than 100 points, while the Trail Blazers are 17-11.
- The Trail Blazers average 44.3 rebounds per game, which ranks 11th in the NBA. The Suns rank 25th in rebounds allowed per game (45.2).
- Phoenix ranks fifth in fast break points per game (14.1) while Portland ranks last (6.3).
- The Trail Blazers rank sixth in blocks per game (5.2) while the Suns rank 25th in blocks allowed per game (5.3).
- The Trail Blazers rank first in assists allowed per game (19.8) while the Suns rank 11th (22.2).
- Portland ranks 12th in points allowed in the paint per game (42.8) while Phoenix ranks 27th (48.0).
- Portland is 1-3-1 ATS with 5 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Phoenix is 1-4 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Trail Blazers have been outscored by an average of 4.0 points in their last five games. On the season, Portland has defeated opponents by an average of 0.5 points.
- During their last five games, the Suns have scored an average of 101.2 points per game (4.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 113.8 points per game (1.5 above their season average).