The Houston Rockets (34-13) will be at home in Toyota Center when they take on the Phoenix Suns (17-32). Houston opened as a 14-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 227 points. Action begins at 3:30 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 28, 2018, and it can be seen on NBATV.
Phoenix Suns vs. Houston Rockets Betting Preview
The last time the Suns played, they lost big to the New York Knicks, 107-85. Phoenix’s Josh Jackson put up 18 points and eight rebounds in the game. New York did a great job of making free throws (16-22; 72.7 percent). Phoenix, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (12.3 vs. 14.5).
The Rockets are trying to rebound after their 115-113 loss to the New Orleans Pelicans in their last matchup. Chris Paul was the top scorer from either team with 38 points on 11-for-19 shooting. New Orleans held the Rockets to an offensive rebounding percentage of 5.3 (below their season average of 22.5). Houston, on the other hand, did an excellent job of getting and making free throws (29-35; 82.9 percent).
The prolific offense of Houston (second in the league with an offensive efficiency of 112.9) will face off against the porous defense of Phoenix (28th in the league with a defensive efficiency of 110.1). The Rockets figure to have the advantage on that end of the court.
Of Phoenix’s 49 games, 25 have finished under the projected point total, while 24 of Houston’s 47 games have finished under the projected point total. The Rockets have the better straight up (SU) record (34-13 vs. 17-32), but both teams have comparable against the spread (ATS) records. Houston is 23-23-1, while Phoenix is 23-24-2 ATS.
These two teams have already met twice this year, with the Rockets winning both. Paul put up 25 points, eight rebounds and six assists in the most recent contest, in which the Rockets defeated the Suns 112-95, covering as 7.5-point favorites. The two teams combined for 207 points, which was 25 points below the projected point total of 232 points. The Rockets played a nearly flawless game. They had a superb offensive rebounding percentage of 29.2 and a free throw rate of 0.202. For those same stats, the Suns were 9.3 and 0.087, respectively.
Phoenix Suns vs. Houston Rockets ATS Prediction
NBA Pick: SU Winner – Rockets, ATS Winner – Rockets, O/U – Under
- The Rockets rank first in three pointers attempted per game (43.2) while the Suns rank 20th (27.6).
- Houston ranks 17th in blocks allowed per game (5.0) while Phoenix ranks 26th (5.3).
- Phoenix ranks fifth in fast break points per game (14.1) while Houston ranks 23rd in fast break points allowed per game (12.9).
- On the road, Phoenix is 14-9-1 ATS with 13 overs and 11 unders.
- Houston is 10-13-1 ATS at home with 14 overs and 10 unders.
- When holding opponents below 100 points, Houston is 16-2 and Phoenix is 5-2.
- The Rockets are 33-10 when they reach the century mark, while the Suns are 13-19.
- The Suns rank 11th in points in the paint per game (45.1) while the Rockets rank 26th in points allowed in the paint per game (47.6).
- Houston ranks third in steals per game (9.0) while Phoenix ranks 29th (6.7).
- The Rockets average 18.2 points off turnovers per game, which ranks sixth in the NBA. The Suns rank 27th in points off turnovers allowed per game (19.1).
- The Rockets rank 18th in second chance points per game (11.7) while the Suns rank 22nd in second chance points allowed per game (13.2).
- Houston ranks third in rebounds allowed per game (41.1) while Phoenix ranks 24th (44.8).
- Houston is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Phoenix is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Rockets average margin of victory in their last five games has been 8.0, up from 7.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Suns have scored an average of 102.0 points per game (2.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 110.0 points per game (2.1 below their season average).