The Dallas Mavericks (8-22) will be at home in American Airlines Center when they square off against the Phoenix Suns (10-21). The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 208 points with Dallas opening as a 6-point favorite. Action begins at 8:30 p.m. ET on Monday, December 18, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Arizona.
Phoenix Suns vs. Dallas Mavericks Betting Preview
The Suns edged the Minnesota Timberwolves in their last game, 108-106. With 12 points, 19 rebounds and six assists, Alex Len played well for Phoenix. Phoenix dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.431 (above their season average of 0.218) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 38.2 (above their season average of 24.1). For those same stats, Minnesota was 0.179 and 20.4, respectively.
The last time the Mavericks played, they were beaten by the San Antonio Spurs, 98-96. With 17 points, 11 rebounds and six assists, Yogi Ferrell played well for Dallas. San Antonio held the Mavericks to an offensive rebounding percentage of 11.1 (below their season average of 17.8). Dallas, meanwhile, had a better effective field goal percentage (0.550 vs. 0.483).
Dallas should be expected to protect the ball well in this contest. Dallas ranks second in the NBA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 13.1 percent), while Phoenix forces the fewest turnovers (12.6 percent). This contest should be a matchup of conflicting tempos. The up-tempo Suns rank third in possessions per game, while the more methodical Mavericks rank 25th.
Of Phoenix’s 31 games, 17 have finished over the projected point total, while 17 of Dallas 30 games have finished under the O/U total. The Suns have the better straight up (SU) record (10-21 vs. 8-22), but both teams are right around the .500 mark against the spread (ATS).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Suns won three out of four games last season. In the most recent game, Phoenix won 124-111. Phoenix did a great job of getting and making free throws (28-32; 87.5 percent). Dallas, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (32.7 vs. 22.9).
Phoenix Suns at Dallas Mavericks Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Mavericks, ATS Winner – Suns, O/U – Under
- The Suns average 13.1 fast break points per game, which ranks eighth in the NBA. The Mavericks rank last in fast break points allowed per game (14.3).
- Phoenix ranks 10th in blocks per game (5.0) while Dallas ranks 27th (3.5).
- Dallas ranks sixth in second chance points allowed per game (11.3) while Phoenix ranks 26th (14.3).
- Dallas ranks 22nd in assists per game (21.4) while Phoenix ranks 29th (20.1).
- On the road, Phoenix is 9-5-1 ATS with 9 overs and 6 unders.
- Dallas is 7-9 ATS at home with 8 unders, 7 overs and 1 push.
- When holding opponents under 100 points, Phoenix is 2-2 and Dallas is 7-7.
- When reaching 100 points, the Suns are 9-13 and the Mavericks are 5-8.
- The Mavericks rank fifth in three pointers attempted per game (31.7) while the Suns rank 23rd (25.6).
- Dallas ranks first in points allowed in the paint per game (39.3) while Phoenix ranks 29th (48.7).
- The Suns average 45.8 rebounds per game, which ranks fourth in the NBA. The Mavericks rank 27th in rebounds allowed per game (45.9).
- The Mavericks rank 15th in steals allowed per game (8.1) while the Suns rank 25th (9.0).
- Dallas ranks fifth in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.8) while Phoenix ranks 27th (19.1).
- Dallas is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Phoenix is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders, 1 over and 1 push.
- The Mavericks average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 4.6, up from 3.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Suns have scored an average of 101.8 points per game (4.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 106.6 points per game (7.6 below their season average).