The Boston Celtics (19-4), the leagues top scoring defense, will square off with the Phoenix Suns (8-15) at TD Garden. Boston opened as a 13-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 214 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 1 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 2, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Arizona.
Phoenix Suns vs. Boston Celtics Betting Preview
In the Suns last game, they were blown out by the Detroit Pistons, 131-107. Josh Jackson had a good performance for Phoenix, contributing 20 points and seven rebounds. Detroit made 13 of their 28 three pointers (46.4 percent). Phoenix, on the other hand, did a terrific job of getting to and converting from the free throw line (22-28; 78.6 percent).
The Celtics will look to keep it rolling after beating the Philadelphia 76ers in their last game, 108-97. With 36 points on 12-for-21 shooting, Kyrie Irving was the top scorer from either team. Boston dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.203 (below their season average of 0.216) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.582 (above their season average of 0.508). For those same stats, Philadelphia was 0.131 and 0.512, respectively.
Boston could have their way on defense as they battle against one of the worst offenses in the league. The Celtics currently rank second in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.491), while Phoenix is 28th in effective field goal percentage (0.490). It will also be a battle of conflicting paces as the fast-paced Suns rank second in possessions per game, while the more half-court oriented Celtics rank 25th.
Of Phoenixs 23 games, 14 have finished over the projected point total, while 12 of Bostons 23 games have finished under the O/U total. The Celtics come into this game with much better straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 19-4 SU and 18-4-1 ATS, while the Suns are 8-15 SU and 9-13-1 ATS.
This is the first time these teams will clash this year. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. The Celtics won the most recent contest 130-120. The Celtics offensive rebounding percentage was their biggest advantage over the Suns. Boston had a rate of 23.5, while Phoenix posted a mark of 20.8.
Phoenix Suns at Boston Celtics Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Celtics, ATS Winner – Celtics, O/U – Over
- The Suns rank fifth in points in the paint per game (47.5) while the Celtics rank 28th (39.0).
- Boston ranks fifth in assists allowed per game (21.0) while Phoenix ranks 16th (22.7).
- Boston ranks seventh in points off turnovers allowed per game (15.3) while Phoenix ranks 29th (20.3).
- Boston ranks 18th in blocks per game (4.4) while Phoenix ranks 21st in blocks allowed per game (5.3).
- Phoenix is 5-4-1 ATS on the road, while Boston is 8-2-1 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 6 of the Celtics 11 home games, while 7 of the Suns 10 road games have gone over.
- Phoenix is 2-1 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Boston is 15-0.
- The Celtics are 14-2 when they score above 100 points, while the Suns are 7-9.
- The Celtics rank sixth in rebounds per game (45.6) while the Suns rank 28th in rebounds allowed per game (47.0).
- Boston ranks first in steals allowed per game (6.7) while Phoenix ranks 27th (9.0).
- The Celtics rank third in second chance points allowed per game (10.3) while the Suns rank 27th (13.9).
- The Celtics rank fifth in three pointers allowed per game (26.3) while the Suns rank 13th (28.3).
- Boston ranks fifth in fast break points allowed per game (9.0) while Phoenix ranks 29th (14.9).
- Boston is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Phoenix is 1-3-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Celtics’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 4.0, down from 7.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Suns have scored an average of 103.4 points per game (3.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 115.4 points per game (0.4 below their season average).