A couple of teams that are squarely in playoff contention, the Philadelphia Flyers and the New York Rangers collide at Madison Square Garden. This Metropolitan Division matchup will get underway at 0 p.m. ET on Sunday, March 1, and it can be seen live on NBC.
Philadelphia Flyers at New York Rangers Odds
Moneyline odds have not yet been posted for this matchup.
Philadelphia is 37-27 straight up (SU) and has netted moneyline bettors 8.4 units this season. 33 of its contests have gone over the total, while 28 have gone under and just two have pushed. As the away team in 2019-20, the Flyers are 14-18 SU.
Philadelphia has converted on 20.6 percent of its power play chances this season, a figure that’s right around league average. Its penalty kill is ranked eighth overall, and it has successfully killed off 82.3 percent of all penalties.
Philadelphia, as a collective unit, has been whistled for penalties 3.4 times per game overall this season, and 4.2 per game over its last five on the road. The team’s had to defend opponent power plays just 8.4 minutes per game over their last 10 outings.
Averaging 22.8 saves per game with a .910 save percentage, Carter Hart (21-18-3) has been the best option in goal for Philadelphia this year. If head coach Alain Vigneault chooses to rest him, however, the team could turn to Brian Elliott (15-15-4), who has a .899 save percentage and 2.90 goals against average this year.
Travis Konecny and Sean Couturier will both lead the offensive attack for the visiting Flyers. Konecny (58 points) is up to 22 goals and 36 assists, and has recorded two or more points in 12 different games. Couturier has 20 goals and 37 assists to his credit (and has registered a point in 39 games).
On the other bench, New York is 35-29 straight up (SU) and has earned moneyline bettors 14.8 units this year. Through 64 regular season contests, 31 of its games have gone under the total, while 30 have gone over and just two have pushed. It’s 17-15 SU at home this year.
New York has converted on 22.7 percent of its power play opportunities this season, a mark that places it in the top-10 among NHL teams. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked 20th overall, and it’s successfully killed off 79.5 percent of all penalties.
New York skaters have been penalized 4.3 times per game this season, and 2.6 per game over their last five home outings. The team’s had to kill penalties just 7.9 minutes per game over their last 10 outings.
Alexandar Georgiev (28.8 saves per game) has been the primary option in goal for New York. Georgiev has 16 wins, 15 losses, and one OT loss and has recorded a .912 save percentage and 3.02 goals against average this season.
Artemi Panarin (32 goals, 56 assists) will pace the attack for the Rangers.
Philadelphia Flyers at New York Rangers Betting Predictions
NHL Prediction: SU Winner – Flyers, O/U – Over
- Power plays and penalty kills may prove to be critical in the outcome of this matchup. The Flyers are 14-17 in games where they serve fewer penalty minutes than their opponent and 25-21 when they serve fewer than 10 total penalty minutes. The Rangers are 12-10 when they serve fewer penalty minutes than the opposition and 17-13 when their penalty minutes are in the single digits.
- New York is 1-2 in games decided by a shootout this season while Philadelphia is 5-5 in shootouts.
- New York skaters have managed 8.6 takeaways per game over its last five home games, a slight drop from its season average of 8.1 takeaways per game (ranked 8th overall).
- Philadelphia has scored 3.4 goals per game overall this year, but is averaging 4.4 per match up over the team’s five-game winning streak.
- Philadelphia is ranked 24th in the NHL with 6.5 takeaways per game. That figure has trended higher, as the team has forced 7.3 takeaways over its last 10 games and 7.4 takeaways over its last five.