The Philadelphia 76ers (16-19) head to Phoenix to play the Suns (14-23) in what should be a fast-paced game. Philadelphia opened as a 2.5-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 221 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET on Sunday, December 31, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Arizona.
Philadelphia 76ers at Phoenix Suns Betting Preview
The last time the 76ers played, they defeated the Denver Nuggets, 107-102. Dario Saric was Philadelphia’s leading scorer with 20 points on 6-for-15 shooting. Philadelphia’s effective field goal percentage was their largest strength over Denver. The 76ers had a rate of 0.527 (above their season average of 0.519), while the Nuggets posted a mark of 0.443 (below their season average of 0.528).
The Suns come in on a high note after topping the Sacramento Kings in their last matchup, 111-101. Phoenix’s T.J. Warren played a key role with 26 points and 10 rebounds. The Suns had a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 35.6 (above their season average of 24.1) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.559 (above their season average of 0.492).
There should be plenty of transition offense in this showdown that showcases two of the leagues more up-and-down teams. Phoenix ranks third in possessions per game (102.5) and Philadelphia is second (103.6). Also, the 76ers defense figures to have an advantage in terms of effective field goal percentage. They rank third in the league with an opponents effective field goal percentage of 0.497, while the Suns offense ranks 29th in effective field goal percentage (0.494).
Of Philadelphia’s 34 games that accepted bets, 18 have finished over the O/U total, while 19 of Phoenix’s 37 games have finished over the projected point total. The 76ers have the better straight up (SU) record (16-19 vs. 14-23), but the Suns have the superior against the spread (ATS) record (19-17-1 vs. 17-17).
Warren has really been playing well over the last five games for Phoenix, averaging 21.8 points, 5.8 rebounds and 1.4 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to score 216 points, which was under the projected point total of 227. The Suns won 115-101, covering as 10-point underdogs. The Suns dominated every stat category in the game. They had a superb turnover percentage of 9.8 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.538. The 76ers recorded marks of 12.5 and 0.467, respectively, for those same stats. Devin Booker was the games top overall scorer with 46 points.
Philadelphia 76ers at Phoenix Suns Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – 76ers, ATS Winner – 76ers, O/U – Under
- The 76ers rank ninth in steals per game (8.3) while the Suns rank 29th (6.5).
- Philadelphia ranks 10th in fast break points allowed per game (10.3) while Phoenix ranks 26th (13.7).
- Philadelphia averages 14.1 second chance points per game, which ranks sixth in the NBA. Phoenix ranks 25th in second chance points allowed per game (14.0).
- Philadelphia averages 30.1 three pointers per game, which ranks 10th in the league. Phoenix ranks 11th in three pointers allowed per game (27.4).
- Philadelphia is 9-9 ATS on the road, while Phoenix is 8-11 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 11 of the 76ers 18 road games, while 9 of the Suns 19 home games have gone over.
- Phoenix is 5-2 when they hold opponents under 100 points, while Philadelphia is 5-0.
- When scoring above 100 points, the 76ers are 15-12 and the Suns are 10-14.
- The Suns average 4.9 blocks per game, which ranks 10th in the league. The 76ers rank 27th in blocks allowed per game (5.9).
- Philadelphia averages 47.8 rebounds per game, which ranks first in the NBA. Phoenix ranks 27th in rebounds allowed per game (45.3).
- The 76ers rank third in assists per game (26.3) while the Suns rank 28th (20.5).
- The 76ers average 16.1 points off turnovers per game, which ranks 18th in the NBA. The Suns rank 26th in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.6).
- Philadelphia ranks seventh in points in the paint per game (47.0) while Phoenix ranks 29th in points allowed in the paint per game (48.7).
- Phoenix is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Philadelphia is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Suns average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 1.6, down from 6.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the 76ers have scored an average of 103.4 points per game (4.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 106.0 points per game (2.8 below their season average).