The Philadelphia 76ers (24-21) look to put an end to the seven-game winning streak of Oklahoma City when they travel to Chesapeake Energy Arena to go head-to-head against the Thunder (29-20). The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 213 points with Oklahoma City set as a 4-point favorite. Action gets underway at 6 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 28, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN.
Philadelphia 76ers at Oklahoma City Thunder Free Preview
In the 76ers last matchup, they had no trouble getting past the San Antonio Spurs, 97-78. With 18 points and 13 rebounds, Joel Embiid played well for Philadelphia. Philadelphia played a nearly flawless game. They had a solid offensive rebounding percentage of 27.9 (above their season average of 25.7) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.538 (above their season average of 0.526). For those same stats, San Antonio recorded marks of 11.6 and 0.420, respectively.
The Thunder come in on a high note after topping the Detroit Pistons in their last matchup, 121-108. Oklahoma City was lifted by Russell Westbrook, who recorded his 14th triple-double of the year. He took over, registering 31 points, 13 assists and 11 rebounds. The Thunder forced 16 turnovers and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.559 (above their season average of 0.514).
This has potential to be an error-filled game for the offense of Philadelphia. Philadelphia ranks 30th in the NBA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 16.9 percent), while the pesky defense of Oklahoma City forces the most turnovers in the league (15.7 percent).
Of Philadelphia’s 45 games, 24 have finished over the O/U total, while 27 of Oklahoma City’s 48 games have finished under the projected point total. The Thunder have the better straight up (SU) record (29-20 vs. 24-21), but the 76ers hold the significant advantage against the spread (ATS) (26-19 vs. 19-28-1).
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the 76ers, it’s been Dario Saric, who has averaged 16.6 points, 7.8 rebounds and 1.2 steals, while the Thunder have received solid contributions from Steven Adams (15.4 points, 11.4 rebounds and 1.2 steals).
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to put up 236 points in that game, which was well over the projected point total of 213. The Thunder won 119-117, covering as 2-point underdogs. Oklahoma City won the rebounding battle. The Thunder had more offensive rebounds (18 vs. seven) and total rebounds (60 vs. 50). Despite the loss, Embiid was the games leading scorer with 34 points.
Philadelphia 76ers vs. Oklahoma City Thunder Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – 76ers, ATS Winner – 76ers, O/U – Under
- The Thunder rank first in second chance points per game (15.0) while the 76ers rank 19th in second chance points allowed per game (12.8).
- Philadelphia ranks 15th in three pointers attempted per game (29.0) while Oklahoma City ranks 23rd in three pointers allowed per game (30.6).
- Oklahoma City ranks fourth in fast break points per game (14.2) while Philadelphia ranks 19th (10.0).
- Philadelphia is third in the NBA with 41.4 points allowed in the paint per game while Oklahoma City is fourth with 41.8 points allowed in the paint per game.
- Oklahoma City is 10-14-1 ATS at home, while Philadelphia is 13-11 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 14 of the 76ers 24 road games, while 14 of the Thunder’s 25 home games have gone under.
- In games where they hold opponents under 100 points, Philadelphia is 9-0 and Oklahoma City is 17-5.
- The 76ers are 21-14 when they score more than 100 points, while the Thunder are 25-9.
- The Thunder average 5.0 blocks per game, which ranks 11th in the league. The 76ers rank 24th in blocks allowed per game (5.3).
- Oklahoma City averages 9.5 steals per game, which ranks first in the NBA. Philadelphia ranks 29th in steals allowed per game (9.2).
- The Thunder rank third in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.2) while the 76ers rank last (19.5).
- The 76ers rank first in rebounds per game (47.4) while the Thunder rank seventh (44.8).
- Philadelphia ranks third in assists per game (25.8) while Oklahoma City ranks 26th (21.0).
- Oklahoma City is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Philadelphia is 4-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Thunder’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 14.2, up from 4.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the 76ers have scored an average of 103.6 points per game (4.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 91.6 points per game (14.7 below their season average).