The Philadelphia 76ers (14-18), who are currently on a five-game losing streak, look to get back in the win column when they head to Madison Square Garden to take on the New York Knicks (17-15). New York is a 2.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 210 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 12 p.m. ET on Monday, December 25, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN.
Philadelphia 76ers vs. New York Knicks ATS Preview
The 76ers lost to the Toronto Raptors in their last game, 102-86. Philadelphia’s Dario Saric put together a good game, leading the team in scoring with 17 points on 5-for-12 shooting. Toronto was successful at getting to and converting from the charity stripe. The Raptors made 23 of their 26 free throws (88.5 percent), while the 76ers were just 13-20 (65.0 percent).
The last time the Knicks played, they were topped by the Detroit Pistons, 104-101. With 22 points and 16 rebounds, New York’s Enes Kanter played well. Detroit did an excellent job of converting from the free throw line (18-25; 72.0 percent). New York, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 35.6 (above their season average of 26.1).
This contest should be a showdown of opposite tempos. Philadelphia prefers a fast-paced style of play (second in possessions per game), while New York is slower-paced (20th in possessions per game).
Of Philadelphia’s 32 games, 17 have finished over the O/U total, while 16 of New York’s 32 games have finished under the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Knicks have a significant advantage. They are 17-15 SU and 19-13 ATS, while the 76ers are 14-18 SU and 16-16 ATS.
Saric has really been playing well over the last five games for Philadelphia, averaging 17.2 points, 8.6 rebounds, 4.0 assists and 1.6 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. Each won two of the four games played against each other last season. The Knicks won the last contest 114-113. The Knicks played a nearly perfect game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.277 and a ridiculous offensive rebounding percentage of 43.6. The 76ers recorded marks of 0.151 and 38.1, respectively, for those same stats.
Philadelphia 76ers vs. New York Knicks ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Knicks, ATS Winner – 76ers, O/U – Over
- The 76ers rank seventh in blocks per game (5.2) while the Knicks rank 20th in blocks allowed per game (4.9).
- Philadelphia ranks third in assists per game (26.2) while New York ranks 14th in assists allowed per game (22.4).
- New York ranks first in rebounds allowed per game (40.2) while Philadelphia ranks 14th (42.9).
- Philadelphia ranks 21st in fast break points per game (9.4) while New York ranks 29th (6.0).
- New York is 15-5 ATS at home, while Philadelphia is 8-8 ATS on the road.
- The 76ers have 10 overs and 6 unders in 16 road games.
- Of the Knicks 20 home games, they have 10 overs and 10 unders.
- In games where they allow less than 100 points, Philadelphia is 4-0 and New York is 8-0.
- The 76ers are 13-11 when they score above 100 points, while the Knicks are 16-7.
- The 76ers average 16.4 points off turnovers per game, which ranks 17th in the league. The Knicks rank 28th in points off turnovers allowed per game (19.4).
- Philadelphia ranks ninth in three pointers attempted per game (30.2) while New York ranks last (22.1).
- The 76ers rank third in second chance points per game (14.6) while the Knicks rank 21st in second chance points allowed per game (12.8).
- The Knicks rank second in points allowed in the paint per game (40.1) while the 76ers rank 11th (42.0).
- Philadelphia averages 8.5 steals per game, which ranks ninth in the league. New York ranks 24th in steals allowed per game (8.5).
- New York is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Philadelphia is 0-5 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Knicks average margin of victory in their last five games has been 2.0, up from 0.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the 76ers have scored an average of 104.4 points per game (3.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 110.6 points per game (1.4 above their season average).