The New Orleans Pelicans (13-13) will be at home in Smoothie King Center when they clash against the Philadelphia 76ers (13-12). The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 223.5 points with New Orleans set as a 4.5-point favorite. Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Sunday, December 10, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – New Orleans.
Philadelphia 76ers at New Orleans Pelicans Free Preview
In the 76ers last game, they were beaten by the Cleveland Cavaliers, 105-98. Ben Simmons had a solid performance for Philadelphia, recording 14 points, 10 assists and six rebounds. Cleveland did a great job of making free throws (19-25; 76.0 percent). Philadelphia, meanwhile, held the Cavaliers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 15.8 (below the 21.4 mark opponents have averaged against Philadelphia this season).
The Pelicans are trying to rebound after their 116-109 loss to the Sacramento Kings in their last outing. DeMarcus Cousins was the games high scorer with 38 points on 14-for-30 shooting. Sacramento had an offensive rebounding percentage of 28.2 (above their season average of 20.8). New Orleans, meanwhile, did a fantastic job of making free throws (17-19; 89.5 percent).
This battle pits one of the NBA’s top offenses against one of its elite defenses. New Orleans currently ranks fifth in effective field goal percentage (0.545) and Philadelphia is fourth in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.500).
Of Philadelphia’s 24 games that accepted bets, 12 have finished over the O/U total, while 15 of New Orleans 26 games have finished over the O/U total. Both teams have respectable straight up (SU) records (13-12 for Philadelphia; 13-13 for New Orleans), but the 76ers have the advantage against the spread (ATS). Philadelphia is 15-9 ATS, while the Pelicans are 14-12.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. In the last game, the Pelicans won 108-93. The Pelicans played a nearly perfect game. They had a great offensive rebounding percentage of 30.2 and a great turnover percentage of 9.5. The 76ers were 13.0 and 12.5, respectively, for those same stats.
Philadelphia 76ers vs. New Orleans Pelicans Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Pelicans, ATS Winner – 76ers, O/U – Over
- The Pelicans rank ninth in fast break points per game (12.7) while the 76ers rank 27th (8.6).
- New Orleans averages 30.1 three pointers per game, which ranks 12th in the NBA. Philadelphia ranks 22nd in three pointers allowed per game (30.4).
- Philadelphia averages 25.9 assists per game, which ranks third in the NBA. New Orleans ranks 21st in assists allowed per game (23.7).
- New Orleans averages 17.0 points off turnovers per game, which ranks 16th in the league. Philadelphia ranks 21st in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.0).
- On the road, Philadelphia is 7-4 ATS with 7 overs and 4 unders.
- At home, New Orleans is 6-7 ATS with 8 overs and 5 unders.
- New Orleans and Philadelphia are both 4-0 when they allow below 100 points.
- In games where they reach 100 points, the Pelicans are 11-8 and the 76ers are 12-7.
- The 76ers rank 10th in steals per game (8.3) while the Pelicans rank 26th in steals allowed per game (9.0).
- New Orleans ranks seventh in blocks allowed per game (4.3) while Philadelphia ranks 29th (5.7).
- The 76ers rank first in rebounds per game (48.7) while the Pelicans rank 20th in rebounds allowed per game (43.8).
- The 76ers average 47.0 points in the paint per game, which ranks seventh in the league. The Pelicans rank 16th in points allowed in the paint per game (44.5).
- Philadelphia ranks third in second chance points per game (14.7) while New Orleans ranks 21st in second chance points allowed per game (13.2).
- New Orleans is 2-3 ATS with 5 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Philadelphia is 1-4 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Pelicans average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 1.4, up from 1.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the 76ers have scored an average of 101.6 points per game (6.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 107.6 points per game (0.3 below their season average).