The Miami Heat (34-31) will be at home in AmericanAirlines Arena when they go head-to-head against the Philadelphia 76ers (35-28). The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 208.5 points with Philadelphia opening as a 1.5-point favorite. Action gets underway at 7:30 p.m. ET on Thursday March 8 2018 and it can be seen on Fox Sports Sun.
Philadelphia 76ers at Miami Heat Betting Preview
In the 76ers’ last contest they were victorious over the Charlotte Hornets 128-114. With 16 points 13 assists and eight rebounds Ben Simmons put together a good game for Philadelphia. The 76ers who came into the game averaging an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.6 had a superb mark of 28.6 and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.667 (above their season average of 0.527).
The Heat are hoping for a better outcome after their 117-113 loss to the Washington Wizards in their last matchup. With 21 points Miami’s Tyler Johnson had a good game. Washington did a great job of getting to and converting from the free throw line (23-27; 85.2 percent). Miami on the other hand forced the Wizards into a turnover percentage of 16.4 (above their season average of 12.7).
The offense of Miami will square off against the elite defense of Philadelphia. The Heat currently rank 20th in offensive efficiency while the 76ers are fifth in defensive efficiency. The 76ers should have the advantage on that end of the court. Furthermore the 76ers who rank third in offensive rebounding percentage (25.7 percent), will clash against the Heat who rank fifth in defensive rebounding percentage (79.1 percent).
Of Philadelphia’s 63 games 32 have finished over the projected point total while 34 of Miami’s 65 games have finished under the projected point total. Both teams have respectable straight up (SU) records (35-28 for Philadelphia; 34-31 for Miami), but the 76ers have the edge against the spread (ATS). Philadelphia is 36-27 ATS while the Heat are 33-29-3.
These two teams have already met three times this season with the 76ers leading the series two games to one. Hassan Whiteside put up 15 points and 11 rebounds in the most recent game in which the Heat topped the 76ers 102-101 but were not able to cover as 1.5-point favorites. The two teams combined to put up 203 points which was just 2.5 points below the projected point total of 205.5 points. The Heat dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a turnover percentage of 13.7 and a solid free throw rate of 0.256. The 76ers were 19.6 and 0.226 respectively for those same stats.
Philadelphia 76ers at Miami Heat Odds Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Heat ATS Winner – Heat O/U – Under
- The Heat rank 13th in points off turnovers allowed per game (16.1) while the 76ers rank last (19.5).
- Philadelphia ranks first in points allowed in the paint per game (41.4) while Miami ranks 13th (43.4).
- Philadelphia ranks third in assists per game (25.7) while Miami ranks 20th (22.2).
- Philadelphia averages 13.6 second chance points per game which ranks sixth in the league. Miami ranks 10th in second chance points allowed per game (11.8).
- On the road Philadelphia is 16-18 ATS with 19 overs and 15 unders.
- At home Miami is 11-18-2 ATS with 16 unders 14 overs and 1 push.
- In games where they allow below 100 points Miami is 20-6 and Philadelphia is 15-0.
- The Heat are 24-15 when they reach the century mark while the 76ers are 32-18.
- The Heat rank third in three pointers allowed per game (25.8) while the 76ers rank 15th (29.3).
- Miami ranks 10th in steals allowed per game (7.5) while Philadelphia ranks 28th (8.9).
- The Heat average 5.2 blocks per game which ranks seventh in the NBA. The 76ers rank 25th in blocks allowed per game (5.3).
- The 76ers rank 20th in fast break points per game (10.2) while the Heat rank 28th (8.1).
- Philadelphia ranks first in rebounds per game (46.6) while Miami ranks 19th (43.0).
- Miami is 2-2-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games Philadelphia is 4-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Heat have outscored opponents by an average of 2.0 points in their last five games. On the season Miami has been defeated by an average of 0.3 points.
- During their last five games the 76ers have scored an average of 111.4 points per game (3.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 106.0 points per game (0.3 above their season average).