The Cleveland Cavaliers (18-8) look to lengthen a seven-game home winning streak when they meet the Philadelphia 76ers (13-11) at Quicken Loans Arena. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 218 points with Cleveland set as a 5-point favorite. Action begins at 8 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 9, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Ohio.
Philadelphia 76ers vs. Cleveland Cavaliers ATS Preview
In the 76ers last outing, they lost a close one to the Los Angeles Lakers, 107-104. With 33 points on 11-for-17 shooting, Joel Embiid was the top scorer from either team. Los Angeles had a turnover percentage of 9.4 (better than their season average of 14.7). Philadelphia, on the other hand, did a great job of converting from the free throw line (16-21; 76.2 percent).
The Cavaliers are trying to rebound after their 106-102 loss to the Indiana Pacers in their last matchup. LeBron James led Cleveland in scoring with 29 points on 12-for-22 shooting. Indiana had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (25.5 vs. 19.1). Cleveland, on the other hand, did an excellent job of making free throws (17-22; 77.3 percent).
This matchup pits one of the leagues top offenses against one of its elite defensesCleveland ranks fourth in effective field goal percentage (0.551), while Philadelphia is fourth in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.497).
Of Philadelphia’s 24 games, 12 have finished over the projected point total, while 14 of Cleveland’s 25 games have finished over the O/U total. The Cavaliers have the superior straight up (SU) record (18-8 vs. 13-11), but the 76ers hold the significant advantage against the spread (ATS) (15-9 vs. 9-15-1).
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to put up 204 points, well under the projected point total of 224. The Cavaliers won 113-91, covering as 2-point underdogs. Cleveland made 15 of their 37 three pointers (40.5 percent), while Philadelphia was just 3-28 (10.7 percent). James recorded a double-double with 30 points and 14 rebounds.
Philadelphia 76ers at Cleveland Cavaliers Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Cavaliers, ATS Winner – Cavaliers, O/U – Under
- The 76ers rank first in rebounds per game (49.1) while the Cavaliers rank 18th (42.6).
- Philadelphia averages 47.0 points in the paint per game, which ranks seventh in the NBA. Cleveland ranks 19th in points allowed in the paint per game (44.7).
- Cleveland ranks 10th in steals allowed per game (7.6) while Philadelphia ranks 25th (8.7).
- Cleveland ranks 23rd in fast break points per game (8.8) while Philadelphia ranks 26th (8.5).
- On the road, Philadelphia is 7-4 ATS with 7 overs and 4 unders.
- Cleveland is 1-11-1 ATS at home with 7 overs and 6 unders.
- In games where they hold opponents under 100 points, Cleveland is 8-0 and Philadelphia is 4-0.
- The 76ers are 12-7 when they reach 100 points, while the Cavaliers are 18-6.
- The 76ers rank third in second chance points per game (15.0) while the Cavaliers rank 18th (12.0).
- Philadelphia ranks third in assists per game (25.7) while Cleveland ranks 29th in assists allowed per game (24.8).
- The Cavaliers rank fifth in blocks allowed per game (4.1) while the 76ers rank last (5.8).
- The Cavaliers rank 13th in points off turnovers per game (17.7) while the 76ers rank 25th (15.3).
- Cleveland averages 32.6 three pointers per game, which ranks fourth in the league. Philadelphia ranks 22nd in three pointers allowed per game (30.5).
- Cleveland is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Philadelphia is 1-4 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Cavaliers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 7.2, up from 3.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the 76ers have scored an average of 105.6 points per game (2.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 109.2 points per game (1.2 above their season average).