The Charlotte Hornets (28-36) will be at home in Spectrum Center when they meet the Philadelphia 76ers (34-28). The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 215 points with Philadelphia set as a 1.5-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, March 6, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports Carolina.
Philadelphia 76ers at Charlotte Hornets Betting Preview
In the 76ers last matchup, they fell to the Milwaukee Bucks, 118-110. Philadelphia’s Ben Simmons put together a solid performance, recording 12 points, 15 assists and five rebounds. Milwaukee forced the 76ers into a turnover percentage of 24.6 (above their season average of 14.6). Philadelphia, on the other hand, did a great job of making free throws (18-22; 81.8 percent).
The Hornets are hoping for a better outcome after their 103-98 loss to the Toronto Raptors in their last matchup. Kemba Walker was the games high scorer with 27 points on 8-for-23 shooting. Toronto held the Hornets to an effective field goal percentage of 0.406 (below their season average of 0.503). Charlotte, meanwhile, had a much better turnover percentage (8.2 vs. 13.7).
Charlotte could put on a ball-control clinic in this showdown. Charlotte ranks second in the NBA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 12.2 percent), while Philadelphia forces the eighth-fewest turnovers (13.4 percent). Also, the 76ers second-ranked defense (opponents effective field goal percentage of 0.495) will go head-to-head against the Hornets 27th-ranked offense (effective field goal percentage of 0.501).
There does not appear to be a trend for either of these teams in terms of going over or under the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the 76ers have a clear advantage. They are 34-28 SU and 35-27 ATS, while the Hornets are 28-36 SU and 26-34-4 ATS.
Nicolas Batum has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Charlotte, averaging 10.8 points, 9.4 assists, 7.2 rebounds and 2.0 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to score 209 points, which was under the projected point total of 215. The 76ers won 110-99, covering as 4-point favorites. The 76ers offensive rebounding percentage was their largest strength over the Hornets. Philadelphia had a rate of 17.9, while Charlotte posted a mark of 15.2. In the loss, Batum recorded a double-double with 14 points and 13 rebounds.
Philadelphia 76ers at Charlotte Hornets Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Hornets, ATS Winner – Hornets, O/U – Under
- The 76ers average 46.6 rebounds per game, which ranks first in the NBA. The Hornets rank 17th in rebounds allowed per game (43.3).
- Philadelphia ranks 11th in blocks per game (5.0) while Charlotte ranks 21st in blocks allowed per game (5.1).
- Charlotte ranks first in second chance points allowed per game (10.1) while Philadelphia ranks 16th (12.7).
- Philadelphia ranks 16th in three pointers attempted per game (28.8) while Charlotte ranks 18th in three pointers allowed per game (29.8).
- Philadelphia is 15-18 ATS on the road with 18 overs and 15 unders.
- Charlotte is 16-16-1 ATS at home with 17 unders and 16 overs.
- Charlotte is 10-3 when they allow below 100 points, while Philadelphia is 15-0.
- In games where they reach the century mark, the Hornets are 27-15 and the 76ers are 31-18.
- The 76ers rank first in points allowed in the paint per game (41.2) while the Hornets rank 14th (44.1).
- Charlotte ranks first in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.0) while Philadelphia ranks 29th (19.6).
- The Hornets rank second in steals allowed per game (6.4) while the 76ers rank 28th (8.9).
- The 76ers rank 20th in fast break points per game (10.1) while the Hornets rank 26th (9.2).
- Philadelphia ranks third in assists per game (25.6) while Charlotte ranks 26th (21.3).
- Charlotte is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Philadelphia is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Hornets average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 2.6, up from 0.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the 76ers have scored an average of 104.6 points per game (2.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 105.0 points per game (0.6 below their season average).