The Portland Trail Blazers (17-16) can put an end to a six-game home losing streak when they meet the Philadelphia 76ers (15-18) at Moda Center at the Rose Quarter. Portland opened as a 2.5-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 208 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 10:30 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 28, 2017.
Philadelphia 76ers vs. Portland Trail Blazers Free Preview
The last time the 76ers played, they defeated the New York Knicks, 105-98. Joel Embiid led Philadelphia in scoring with 25 points on 8-for-17 shooting. The 76ers knocked down 25 of their 30 free throws (83.3 percent) and held the Knicks to an effective field goal percentage of 0.426 (below their season average of 0.518).
The Trail Blazers hope to keep it rolling after barely hanging on to beat the Los Angeles Lakers in their last outing, 95-92. Portland rallied around Shabazz Napier, who had 21 points and five assists. Portland’s turnover percentage was their biggest strength over Los Angeles. The Trail Blazers had a rate of 9.8 (better than their season average of 12.9), while the Lakers posted a mark of 15.3 (above the 12.1 mark opponents have averaged against Portland this season).
The offense of Portland (25th in the league with an offensive efficiency of 102.8) will square off against the stingy defense of Philadelphia (seventh in the league with a defensive efficiency of 104.3). The 76ers figure to have the edge on that side of the ball. Also, the 76ers are among the NBA’s elite on the offensive backboards, ranking third in offensive rebounding percentage (26.4 percent). The Trail Blazers, meanwhile, rank fourth in defensive rebounding percentage (79.6 percent).
Of Philadelphia’s 33 games, 17 have finished over the O/U total, while 24 of Portland’s 33 games have finished under the projected point total. The Trail Blazers hold the significant advantage straight up (SU) (17-16 vs. 15-18), but the 76ers have been superior against the spread (ATS) (17-16 vs. 15-15-3).
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to score 182 points, well under the projected point total of 211. The 76ers won 101-81, covering as 4-point favorites. Philadelphia’s 0.494 effective field goal percentage was its largest advantage over Portland, who had a mark of 0.376. Embiid put up a double-double in the victory with 28 points and 12 rebounds.
Philadelphia 76ers vs. Portland Trail Blazers ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Trail Blazers, ATS Winner – Trail Blazers, O/U – Under
- The Trail Blazers rank first in three pointers allowed per game (24.9) while the 76ers rank 20th (29.7).
- Philadelphia ranks second in second chance points per game (14.7) while Portland ranks 13th (12.5).
- Philadelphia ranks eighth in steals per game (8.4) while Portland ranks 26th (6.6).
- Philadelphia ranks first in rebounds per game (48.4) while Portland ranks ninth (44.8).
- Philadelphia is 9-8 ATS on the road, while Portland is 4-11-2 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 10 of the 76ers’ 17 road games, while 13 of the Trail Blazers 17 home games have gone under.
- When allowing under 100 points, Portland is 13-4 and Philadelphia is 5-0.
- The 76ers are 14-11 when they score more than 100 points, while the Trail Blazers are 12-7.
- The Trail Blazers rank 12th in points off turnovers allowed per game (15.6) while the 76ers rank last (19.4).
- Philadelphia ranks third in assists per game (26.0) while Portland ranks last (18.2).
- The Trail Blazers average 5.3 blocks per game, which ranks seventh in the NBA. The 76ers rank 29th in blocks allowed per game (5.8).
- The 76ers rank 20th in fast break points per game (9.4) while the Trail Blazers rank 29th (5.6).
- Philadelphia ranks sixth in points in the paint per game (47.3) while Portland ranks 26th (40.8).
- Portland is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Philadelphia is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Trail Blazers have been outscored by an average of 3.0 points in their last five games. For the season, Portland has defeated opponents by an average of 1.4 points.
- During their last five games, the 76ers have scored an average of 102.0 points per game (5.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 106.4 points per game (2.4 below their season average).