The Memphis Grizzlies (16-29) will be at home in FedExForum when they meet the Philadelphia 76ers (22-20). Philadelphia opened as a 2.5-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 207.5 points. Action starts at 8 p.m. ET on Monday, January 22, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Southeast.
Philadelphia 76ers at Memphis Grizzlies Betting Preview
The 76ers had no trouble getting past the Milwaukee Bucks in their last matchup, 116-94. Joel Embiid was the games leading scorer with 29 points on 11-for-19 shooting. Philadelphia dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a solid offensive rebounding percentage of 28.9 (above their season average of 25.5) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.588 (above their season average of 0.522). For those same stats, Milwaukee was 19.0 and 0.463, respectively.
The last time the Grizzlies played, they were blown out by the New Orleans Pelicans, 111-104. Wayne Selden Jr. was the top scorer from either team with 31 points on 11-for-16 shooting. New Orleans did a fantastic job of converting from the free throw line (26-32; 81.3 percent). Memphis, meanwhile, held the Pelicans to an offensive rebounding percentage of 15.0 (below their season average of 20.2).
The inefficient offense of Memphis will square off against the elite defense of Philadelphia. The Grizzlies rank 24th in offensive efficiency, while the 76ers are third in defensive efficiency. The 76ers should have the edge on that side of the ball. This game should be a showdown of conflicting tempos. The up-and-down 76ers rank second in possessions per game, while the more methodical Grizzlies rank 30th.
Of Philadelphia’s 42 games, 23 have finished over the projected point total, while 27 of Memphis 45 games have finished under the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the 76ers have a substantial advantage. They are 22-20 SU and 24-18 ATS, while the Grizzlies are 16-29 SU and 19-24-2 ATS.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Grizzlies won both meetings played against each other last season. In the most recent contest, Memphis won 96-91. The Grizzlies dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.326 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.0. The 76ers had marks of 0.159 and 18.0, respectively, for those same stats.
Philadelphia 76ers vs. Memphis Grizzlies ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – 76ers, ATS Winner – 76ers, O/U – Over
- The Grizzlies rank fifth in blocks per game (5.2) while the 76ers rank 27th in blocks allowed per game (5.4).
- Philadelphia ranks eighth in fast break points allowed per game (10.1) while Memphis ranks 25th (13.3).
- Memphis ranks seventh in points off turnovers allowed per game (15.2) while Philadelphia ranks 28th (19.5).
- Philadelphia is 12-10 ATS on the road, while Memphis is 10-13-1 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 13 of the 76ers 22 road games, while 17 of the Grizzlies 24 home games have gone under.
- When holding opponents below 100 points, Memphis is 11-9 and Philadelphia is 8-0.
- When reaching the century mark, the Grizzlies are 11-10 and the 76ers are 20-13.
- The 76ers rank seventh in second chance points per game (13.8) while the Grizzlies rank 25th (10.6).
- Memphis ranks third in steals allowed per game (6.9) while Philadelphia ranks 29th (9.2).
- The 76ers rank first in rebounds per game (47.4) while the Grizzlies rank 25th (40.5).
- The Grizzlies lead the NBA with 40.3 points allowed in the paint per game while the 76ers are fourth with 41.6 points allowed in the paint per game.
- Philadelphia ranks third in assists per game (25.9) while Memphis ranks 26th (20.8).
- Memphis is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Philadelphia is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Grizzlies have outscored opponents by an average of 3.4 points in their last five games. On the season, Memphis has lost by an average of 2.6 points.
- During their last five games, the 76ers have scored an average of 107.8 points per game (0.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 95.4 points per game (11.8 below their season average).