The Philadelphia 76ers (14-14) will try to put an end to the five-game winning streak of Chicago when they travel to United Center to go head-to-head against the Bulls (8-20). The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 209.5 points with Philadelphia opening as a 1.5-point favorite. Action gets underway at 8 p.m. ET on Monday, December 18, 2017, and it can be seen on NBC Sports Chicago.
Philadelphia 76ers vs. Chicago Bulls Odds Preview
The 76ers lost a close one to the Oklahoma City Thunder in their last game, 119-117. Philadelphia’s Joel Embiid had a good game, leading both teams in scoring with 34 points on 11-for-20 shooting. Oklahoma City held the 76ers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 14.3 (below their season average of 26.9). Philadelphia, on the other hand, did a terrific job of converting from the free throw line (16-20; 80.0 percent).
In the Bulls last game, they topped the Milwaukee Bucks, 115-109. Chicago was lifted by Bobby Portis, who led the team in scoring with 27 points on 9-for-16 shooting. The Bulls, who came into the game averaging an offensive rebounding percentage of 19.8, had a superb mark of 29.2 and had a free throw rate of 0.267 (above their season average of 0.144).
Chicago should be expected to protect the ball well in this contest. Chicago ranks fifth in the league at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 13.2 percent), while Philadelphia forces the fifth-fewest turnovers (13.4 percent). Furthermore, the 76ers fourth-ranked defense (effective field goal percentage allowed of 0.501) will go head-to-head against the Bulls 29th-ranked offense (effective field goal percentage of 0.486).
Of Philadelphia’s 28 games, 15 have finished over the projected point total, while 15 of Chicago’s 28 games have finished under the O/U total. The 76ers come into this game with a substantial advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 14-14 SU and 16-12 ATS, while the Bulls are 8-20 SU and 14-11-3 ATS.
Kris Dunn has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Chicago, averaging 16.0 points, 7.6 assists, 6.0 rebounds and 2.2 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Bulls won three out of four matchups played against each other last season. In the most recent contest, Chicago won 102-90. Chicago had a better effective field goal percentage (0.473 vs. 0.401). Philadelphia, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (11.4 vs. 14.0).
Philadelphia 76ers at Chicago Bulls Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – 76ers, ATS Winner – 76ers, O/U – Over
- The Bulls rank ninth in blocks allowed per game (4.5) while the 76ers rank 29th (5.8).
- Philadelphia averages 30.1 three pointers per game, which ranks 11th in the NBA. Chicago ranks 22nd in three pointers allowed per game (30.2).
- Philadelphia averages 26.4 assists per game, which ranks third in the league. Chicago ranks 23rd in assists allowed per game (24.3).
- Philadelphia is 8-6 ATS on the road, while Chicago is 6-5-2 ATS at home.
- The 76ers have 9 overs and 5 unders in 14 road games.
- Of the Bulls’ 13 home games, they have 9 unders and 4 overs.
- Chicago is 3-5 when they hold opponents under 100 points, while Philadelphia is 4-0.
- In games where they reach the century mark, the 76ers are 13-9 and the Bulls are 7-6.
- The 76ers rank fourth in second chance points per game (14.8) while the Bulls rank 22nd (10.9).
- Philadelphia ranks first in rebounds per game (48.8) while Chicago ranks 28th in rebounds allowed per game (46.0).
- The 76ers rank fifth in points in the paint per game (47.4) while the Bulls rank 27th (39.3).
- The 76ers rank 22nd in points off turnovers per game (15.5) while the Bulls rank 29th (13.8).
- Chicago ranks sixth in steals allowed per game (7.0) while Philadelphia ranks 26th (9.1).
- Chicago is 5-0 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Philadelphia is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Bulls have outscored opponents by an average of 8.4 points in their last five games. On the season, Chicago has been defeated by an average of 7.7 points.
- During their last five games, the 76ers have scored an average of 112.2 points per game (3.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 114.8 points per game (5.5 above their season average).