The Pepperdine Waves (3-9) will try to snap a five-game road losing streak when they challenge the Santa Clara Broncos (3-9) at Leavey Center. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 142 points with Santa Clara opening as a 6-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 10 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 28, 2017.
Pepperdine Waves vs. Santa Clara Broncos ATS Preview
In the Waves last matchup, they fell to the Weber State Wildcats, 72-67. With 11 points on 3-for-8 shooting, Colbey Ross was Pepperdine’s high scorer. Weber State did an excellent job of converting from the free throw line (10-13; 76.9 percent). Pepperdine, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 41.7 (above their season average of 33.3).
The Broncos are hoping for a better outcome after their 75-63 loss to the San Jose State Spartans in their last matchup. KJ Feagin was the games high scorer with 24 points on 8-for-24 shooting. San Jose State did a great job of converting from the charity stripe (26-33; 78.8 percent). Santa Clara, on the other hand, had a turnover percentage of 8.4 (better than their season average of 15.2).
Half-court execution will be of utmost importance when a pair of the NCAA’s slowest-paced teams battle. Santa Clara ranks 300th in possessions per game (67.8) and Pepperdine is 256th (69.1).
Of Pepperdine’s 11 games that accepted bets, six have finished under the projected point total, while 6 of Santa Clara’s 9 games have finished over the O/U total. Both teams have disastrous straight up (SU) records (3-9 for Pepperdine; 3-9 for Santa Clara), but the Waves have the edge against the spread (ATS). Pepperdine is 4-6-1 ATS, while the Broncos are 1-8.
This is the first time these teams will meet this year. The Broncos won both matchups played against each other last season. In the last contest, Santa Clara won 106-55. The Broncos played a nearly perfect game. They had a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 34.8 and a ridiculous effective field goal percentage of 0.820. The Waves had marks of 12.9 and 0.441, respectively, for those same stats.
Pepperdine Waves vs. Santa Clara Broncos Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Santa Clara, ATS Winner – Pepperdine, O/U – Over
- The Broncos rank 20th in steals allowed per game (4.9) while the Waves rank 83rd (6.2).
- Pepperdine is 2-2-1 ATS on the road, while Santa Clara is 1-5 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 5 of the Broncos 6 home games, while 4 of the Waves 5 road games have gone under.
- Santa Clara ranks 50th in three pointers attempted per game (25.8) while Pepperdine ranks 254th (16.8).
- The Broncos rank 77th in assists per game (15.3) while the Waves rank 236th in assists allowed per game (18.4).
- Pepperdine ranks 131st in rebounds per game (36.3) while Santa Clara ranks 257th (29.9).
- Santa Clara is 0-4 ATS with 3 overs and 1 push in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Pepperdine is 2-2-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Broncos average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 6.2, up from 1.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Waves have scored an average of 70.2 points per game (4.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 75.8 points per game (4.2 below their season average).