The Penn State Nittany Lions (22-13) go head-to-head with the Notre Dame Fighting Irish (21-14) in the NIT at Purcell Pavilion at the Joyce Center. Action begins at 12 p.m. ET on Saturday, March 17, 2018, and can be seen on ESPN.
Penn State Nittany Lions at Notre Dame Fighting Irish Betting Odds
Both teams were triumphant in their last game. The Fighting Irish easily got past the Hampton Pirates 84-63, while the Nittany Lions beat the Temple Owls 63-57.
The Nittany Lions had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.408 (above their season average of 0.217) and had a better offensive rebounding percentage (28.6 vs. 24.3). Notre Dame, meanwhile, dominated every facet of their game. They had a ridiculously low turnover percentage of 7.6 (better than their season average of 12.9) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.462 (below their season average of 0.519). For those same stats, Hampton recorded marks of 10.5 and 0.338, respectively. Notre Dame was lifted by Bonzie Colson, who put up 14 points and 12 rebounds. Josh Reaves, meanwhile played well for Penn State, contributing 19 points and 11 rebounds.
This matchup pits one of the NCAA’s top offenses against one of its elite defenses. Notre Dame ranks 42nd in offensive efficiency and Penn State is 33rd in defensive efficiency.
Penn State Nittany Lions vs. Notre Dame Fighting Irish Free Pick
College Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Penn State, ATS Winner – Penn State, O/U – Over
- Penn State ranks 19th in three pointers allowed per game (18.4) while Notre Dame ranks 185th (22.6).
- The Nittany Lions rank 149th in assists per game (13.6) while the Fighting Irish rank 200th in assists allowed per game (14.2).
- Penn State averages 35.7 rebounds per game, which ranks 138th in the nation. Notre Dame ranks 142nd in rebounds allowed per game (34.4).
- The Nittany Lions rank 20th in blocks per game (5.1) while the Fighting Irish rank 174th in blocks allowed per game (3.7).
- Penn State ranks 48th in steals per game (7.3) while Notre Dame ranks 167th (5.8).
- During their last five games, the Nittany Lions have scored an average of 66.2 points per game (8.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 67.2 points per game (0.6 above their season average).
- The Fighting Irish’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 1.4, down from 6.8 for the season.