Big 10 foes will clash when the Indiana Hoosiers (9-7, 2-2 Big 10) challenge the Penn State Nittany Lions (12-5, 2-2 Big 10) at Assembly Hall. Penn State opened as a 1.5-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 143 points. Action gets underway at 6:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 9, 2018.
Penn State Nittany Lions vs. Indiana Hoosiers ATS Preview
The last time the Nittany Lions played, they beat the Northwestern Wildcats, 78-63. With 18 points and 17 rebounds, Penn State’s Mike Watkins put together a good performance. Penn State dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.273 (above their season average of 0.231) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 41.4 (above their season average of 33.2). Northwestern was 0.097 and 26.3, respectively, for those same stats.
The Hoosiers come in on a high note after topping the Minnesota Golden Gophers in their last outing, 75-71. Indiana was lifted by Robert Johnson, who was the games high scorer with 28 points on 10-for-21 shooting. The Hoosiers held the Golden Gophers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 22.2 (below their season average of 36.0). The Golden Gophers also had a turnover percentage of 17.5 (above their season average of 13.4).
It could be a mistake-prone game for the Indiana offense. Indiana ranks 168th in the NCAA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 18.8 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of Penn State forces the 45th-most turnovers in the nation (22.5 percent).
Of Penn State’s 13 games with betting action, nine have finished under the O/U total, while 8 of Indiana’s 16 games have finished over the projected point total. The Nittany Lions have the sizable advantage straight up (SU) (12-5 vs. 9-7), but the Hoosiers have the better against the spread (ATS) record (7-7-2 vs. 7-5-1).
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Nittany Lions, it’s been Watkins, who has averaged 12.8 points, 11.0 rebounds and 2.8 blocks, while the Hoosiers have received solid contributions from Juwan Morgan (18.0 points, 7.8 rebounds, 1.8 steals and 1.8 blocks).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Hoosiers won both contests last season. In the last contest, Indiana won 110-102. The Hoosiers dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a solid offensive rebounding percentage of 31.7 and a great free throw rate of 0.282. For those same stats, the Nittany Lions were 14.0 and 0.212, respectively.
Penn State Nittany Lions at Indiana Hoosiers Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Penn State, ATS Winner – Penn State, O/U – Under
- The Nittany Lions rank 10th in blocks per game (6.2) while the Hoosiers rank 86th in blocks allowed per game (3.5).
- Penn State averages 37.9 rebounds per game, which ranks 77th in the nation. Indiana ranks 99th in rebounds allowed per game (33.9).
- Penn State is 2-3-1 ATS on the road, while Indiana is 5-4-1 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 3 of the Nittany Lions 6 road games, while 6 of the Hoosiers 10 home games have gone over.
- Penn State ranks 26th in three pointers allowed per game (18.2) while Indiana ranks 160th (22.9).
- The Nittany Lions average 9.1 steals per game, which ranks 15th in the NCAA. The Hoosiers rank 124th in steals allowed per game (7.1).
- Penn State ranks 28th in assists allowed per game (10.9) while Indiana ranks 135th (13.7).
- Indiana is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Penn State is 1-2 ATS with 2 overs and 1 under.
- The Hoosiers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 6.0, up from 2.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Nittany Lions have scored an average of 77.0 points per game (0.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 63.4 points per game (1.4 below their season average).