The Maryland Terrapins (12-3, 1-1 Big 10) and the Penn State Nittany Lions (11-4, 1-1 Big 10) square off at Xfinity Center. The Terrapins look to continue their six-game winning streak. Maryland opened as a 4-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 138.5 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 2, 2018.
Penn State Nittany Lions vs. Maryland Terrapins Betting Preview
The last time the Nittany Lions played, they dismantled the Coppin State Eagles, 88-43. Tony Carr was the top scorer from either team with 21 points on 7-for-9 shooting. Penn State played a perfect game. They had an extraordinary offensive rebounding percentage of 35.5 (above their season average of 33.4) and a turnover percentage of 13.0 (better than their season average of 16.8). For those same stats, Coppin State put up marks of 11.8 and 25.7, respectively.
The Terrapins come in on a high note after dismantling the UMBC Retrievers in their last matchup, 66-45. Anthony Cowan had a good outing for Maryland, finishing with 14 points, nine rebounds and seven assists. Maryland dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.255 (matching their season average) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.473 (below their season average of 0.575). UMBC was 0.000 and 0.346, respectively, for those same stats.
Baskets could be hard to come by in this matchup between two of the NCAA’s top defenses. Maryland currently ranks 15th in defensive efficiency (90.2) and Penn State is 18th (90.4).
Games involving these teams have a tendency to finish under the projected point total. Penn State games have finished under 81.8 percent of the time, while 55.6 percent of Maryland games have gone under. Both teams have very similar records straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS). The Nittany Lions are 11-4 SU and 6-4-1 ATS, while the Terrapins are 12-3 SU and 6-4-1 ATS.
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Nittany Lions, it’s been Mike Watkins, who has averaged 14.6 points, 10.4 rebounds and 4.0 blocks, while the Terrapins have gotten great contributions from Kevin Huerter (15.0 points, 6.8 rebounds, 4.2 assists and 1.2 blocks).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Nittany Lions won the only contest played against each other last season, 70-64. The Nittany Lions dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.531 and a turnover percentage of 13.2. The Terrapins had marks of 0.288 and 15.5, respectively, for those same stats.
Penn State Nittany Lions vs. Maryland Terrapins ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Penn State, ATS Winner – Penn State, O/U – Under
- The Terrapins rank 30th in rebounds per game (40.4) while the Nittany Lions rank 89th (37.8).
- Maryland ranks 23rd in assists allowed per game (10.5) while Penn State ranks 28th (10.7).
- On the road, Penn State is 2-2-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- Maryland is 4-2-1 ATS at home with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- Penn State ranks 11th in steals per game (9.4) while Maryland ranks 178th (4.9).
- The Nittany Lions rank 19th in three pointers allowed per game (17.9) while the Terrapins rank 147th (22.5).
- Maryland ranks 26th in blocks per game (5.5) while Penn State ranks 120th in blocks allowed per game (3.9).
- Maryland is 3-0 ATS with 2 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Penn State is 2-1 ATS with 3 unders.
- The Terrapins average margin of victory in their last five games has been 22.0, up from 15.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Nittany Lions have scored an average of 76.8 points per game (1.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 57.4 points per game (6.8 below their season average).