Two clubs that’ve disappointed this season, the Ottawa Senators and the Florida Panthers clash at the BB&T Center for an Atlantic Division tilt. The matchup will get underway at 7 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 23, and you are able to see the game live on Sportsnet 360.
Ottawa Senators vs. Florida Panthers Odds
The Panthers are 14-21 straight up (SU) and have lost 8.4 units for moneyline bettors thus far. That early-season winning percentage isn’t too far off from to the 35-47 record the team managed during the 2016-17 season campaign. Among its 35 games this season, 17 have gone over the total, while another 17 have gone under and none have pushed. The teams 7-9 SU at home this season.
Florida’s converted on 17.3 percent of its power play opportunities this season, a mark that’s right around league average. On the other hand, its penalty kill is rated 20th overall, and it’s successfully killed off 80.3 percent of all penalties.
Florida, as a collective unit, has been penalized 4.5 times per game overall this season, and 3.8 per game over its last five at home. The team has had to kill penalties for just 8.2 minutes per contest over its last five home games.
Averaging 27.8 saves per game with a .903 save percentage, James Reimer (8-14-4) has been the top goalkeeper for the Panthers this year. Reimer did just play last night, however, so the Panthers may opt to rest him and go with Roberto Luongo instead (6-9-9 record, .928 save percentage, 2.62 goals against average).
The Panthers will continue to look for leadership from Vincent Trocheck and Jonathan Huberdeau. Trocheck (35 points) has tallied 14 goals and 21 assists and has recorded multiple points six times this year. Huberdeau has 11 goals and 23 assists to his name and has notched a point in 20 contests.
On the other side of the rink, Ottawa is 11-22 straight up (SU) and has lost 14.6 units for bettors taking the moneyline this year. Through 33 regular season contests, 17 of its games have gone over the total, while 16 have gone under and none have pushed. As the visiting team, Ottawa is 5-11 SU so far.
Ottawa has converted on just 16.5 percent of its power play opportunities this season, a figure that places it in the bottom-10 overall among NHL teams. On the other hand, its penalty kill unit is ranked 25th overall and it’s successfully defended 77.7 percent of all opponent power plays.
Ottawa’s skaters have been called for penalties only 3.5 times per game this season, and 4.2 per game over their last five road outings. The team has been forced to stave off opponent power plays just 5.8 minutes per game over their last five outings.
Craig Anderson (25.5 saves per game) has been the primary option in the net for Ottawa. Anderson has 10 wins, 16 losses, and four overtime losses to his credit, while registering a .900 save percentage and 3.04 goals against average this year.
Mark Stone (14 goals, 17 assists) will pace the offensive attack for the visiting Senators.
Ottawa Senators vs. Florida Panthers Betting Predictions
Predictions: SU Winner – Senators, O/U – Under
- The total has gone under in four of Florida’s last five games.
- Ottawa has managed 28.2 shot attempts per game over its last five road games while Florida is averaging 39.0 shots per game over its last five at home.
- The Panthers are 3-11 when they serve fewer penalty minutes than their opponent and 5-13 in games where they serve fewer than 10 total penalty minutes.
- Ottawa is 1-5 in games decided by a shootout this season while Florida is 2-2 in shootouts.
- Florida is ranked 6th overall with 8.8 takeaways per game. That figures trended higher, as it has created 9.8 takeaways over its last 10 games and 10.4 takeaways over its last five.
- Ottawa is ranked 18th in the league this season with 6.8 takeaways per game. That figure has trended lower, however, as the team has created 4.8 takeaways over its last 10 games and 5.2 takeaways over its last five.