Little Caesars Arena will be hosting an Atlantic Division showdown as the Detroit Red Wings take the ice against the visiting Ottawa Senators. Sportsnet will broadcast the action, which gets underway at 7:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 3.
Ottawa Senators at Detroit Red Wings Odds
Detroit enters the contest as the noticeable favorite with a -140 moneyline. The line for Ottawa sits at +120 and the Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 6 goals (-110 for the over, -110 for the under).
Producing 7.7 units for moneyline bettors, Detroit is 15-23 straight up (SU) overall thus far. That early-season winning percentage hasn’t moved much from what the team posted during the 2016-17 season (33-49). Through 38 regular season matches, 20 of its games have gone under the total, while 18 have gone over and none have pushed. The team is 8-12 SU at home this season.
The Red Wings have converted on 20.2 percent of their power play chances this season, a figure that’s right around league average. On the other hand, their penalty kill is ranked 18th overall, and they’ve successfully killed off 81.0 percent of all penalties.
The Red Wings, as a collective unit, have been whistled for penalties 3.9 times per game overall this season, and 2.4 per game over their last five games. The team has had to stave off opponent power plays for just 7.1 minutes per game over their last 10 outings, in total.
Averaging 26.2 saves per game with a .913 save percentage, Jimmy Howard (12-20-6) has been the primary option in goal for Detroit this season. If Detroit chooses to rest him, however, it might turn to Petr Mrazek (3-8-8 record, .892 save percentage, 3.64 goals against average).
Dylan Larkin and Henrik Zetterberg will both be focal points for the Red Wings. Larkin (32 points) has tallied six goals and 26 assists and has recorded multiple points in six different games this year. Zetterberg has six goals and 21 assists to his name and has recorded a point in 19 games.
On the other bench, Ottawa is 12-25 straight up (SU) and has lost 16.6 units for moneyline bettors thus far. Through 37 regular season outings, 19 of its games have gone over the total, while 18 have gone under and none have pushed. As the visiting team so far, the Senators are 5-13 SU.
The Senators have converted on just 15.9 percent of their power play chances this season, a figure that places them in the bottom-10 overall among NHL teams. On the other hand, its penalty kill unit is ranked 30th overall and it’s successfully killed off 76.9 percent of all penalties.
Ottawa’s players have been penalized 3.6 times per game in total this season, and 5.2 per game over their last five road outings. The teams been forced to defend opponent power plays a whopping 14.0 minutes per game over their last five outings.
Craig Anderson (25.2 saves per game) has been the primary option in the net for Ottawa. Anderson owns a 10-17-4 record, while registering a .896 save percentage and 3.12 goals against average this year.
Mark Stone (15 goals, 19 assists) will pace the offensive attack for the visiting Senators.
Ottawa Senators vs. Detroit Red Wings Betting Predictions
Predictions: SU Winner – Red Wings, O/U – Under
- A majority (73.3 percent) of Detroit’s wins have come by two or more goals, and the team is 11-12 overall in such games. 5 of Ottawa’s 12 wins (41.7 percent) have been decided by two or more goals.
- The Red Wings are 4-9 in games where they serve fewer penalty minutes than their opponent and 9-17 when they’re in the penalty box for fewer than 10 total minutes.
- Detroit is 3-1 in games decided by a shootout this season while Ottawa is 1-5 in shootouts.
- The total has gone under in four of Detroit’s last five outings.
- Detroit skaters have averaged 12.6 giveaways over its last five home games, a rise over its season average of 11.0 giveaways per game (ranked 24th).
- Ottawa skaters have averaged 9.2 giveaways over its last five home games, an improvement from its season average of 10.0 giveaways per game (ranked 20th in the league).
- Ottawa skaters have accounted for the leagues ninth-most hits per game (23.1), but that numbers down to just 18.2 hits over their last five away games.