The Detroit Pistons (16-13) will be at home in Little Caesars Arena when they go head-to-head with the Orlando Magic (11-19). The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 200.5 points with Detroit opening as an 11-point favorite. Action begins at 4 p.m. ET on Sunday, December 17, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox SportsNet Florida.
Orlando Magic vs. Detroit Pistons ATS Preview
The last time the Magic played, they fell to the Portland Trail Blazers, 95-88. Orlando’s Nikola Vucevic had a good performance, leading both teams in scoring with 26 points on 12-for-20 shooting. Portland held the Magic to an effective field goal percentage of 0.440 (below their season average of 0.526). Orlando, on the other hand, held the Trail Blazers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 14.0 (below their season average of 23.7).
The Pistons will look to maintain momentum after topping the Indiana Pacers in their last matchup, 104-98. With 23 points on 9-for-14 shooting, Andre Drummond was Detroit’s leading scorer. The Pistons had a turnover percentage of 8.2 (better than their season average of 12.9) and held the Pacers to an effective field goal percentage of 0.454 (below their season average of 0.538).
Detroit should have an edge on the offensive glass in this meeting. The Pistons are among the NBA’s elite on the offensive glass, ranking ninth in offensive rebounding percentage at 24.2 percent. Meanwhile, Orlando ranks 28th in the NBA at corralling defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 75.8 percent.
Of Orlando’s 30 games, 15 have finished over the projected point total, while 18 of Detroit’s 29 games have finished under the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Pistons have a substantial advantage. They are 16-13 SU and 18-9-2 ATS, while the Magic are 11-19 SU and 11-18-1 ATS.
Vucevic has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Orlando, averaging 19.6 points, 13.2 rebounds, 4.8 assists, 2.6 blocks and 2.0 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Magic won three out of four meetings last season. In the last contest, Orlando won 113-109. Orlando’s 0.557 effective field goal percentage was its biggest advantage over Detroit, who had a rate of 0.439.
Orlando Magic at Detroit Pistons Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Pistons, ATS Winner – Magic, O/U – Under
- The Magic average 23.6 assists per game, which ranks fifth in the league. The Pistons rank 22nd in assists allowed per game (24.3).
- Detroit ranks 14th in rebounds allowed per game (43.0) while Orlando ranks 29th (46.5).
- Detroit ranks fifth in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.9) while Orlando ranks 20th (17.8).
- Orlando ranks fifth in three pointers allowed per game (26.2) while Detroit ranks 10th (27.2).
- Orlando is 7-8-1 ATS on the road with 9 overs and 7 unders.
- At home, Detroit is 7-5-1 ATS with 7 unders and 6 overs.
- Detroit is 9-4 when they hold opponents under 100 points, while Orlando is 5-2.
- The Pistons are 14-4 when they score above 100 points, while the Magic are 11-10.
- The Pistons rank 10th in second chance points per game (13.4) while the Magic rank 25th (10.0).
- Detroit ranks sixth in points allowed in the paint per game (41.3) while Orlando ranks 29th (49.0).
- The Magic rank ninth in blocks per game (5.1) while the Pistons rank 28th (3.4).
- The Pistons rank 15th in steals per game (7.9) while the Magic rank 20th in steals allowed per game (8.2).
- Detroit ranks fourth in fast break points allowed per game (8.8) while Orlando ranks 21st (12.2).
- Detroit is 3-2 ATS with 5 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Orlando is 0-5 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Pistons have been outscored by an average of 2.6 points in their last five games. On the season, Detroit has defeated opponents by an average of 0.9 points.
- During their last five games, the Magic have scored an average of 98.4 points per game (7.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 105.4 points per game (4.7 below their season average).