Southeast Division foes will collide when the Charlotte Hornets (8-13) square off against the Orlando Magic (10-14) at Spectrum Center. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 221 points with Charlotte set as a 7.5-point favorite. Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Monday, December 4, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox SportsNet Florida.
Orlando Magic at Charlotte Hornets Odds Preview
The Magic were victorious over the New York Knicks in their last outing, 105-100. Nikola Vucevic was the top scorer from either team with 34 points on 13-for-19 shooting. The Magic knocked down 25 of their 29 free throws (86.2 percent) and had a turnover percentage of 9.5 (better than their season average of 13.3).
The last time the Hornets played, they were beaten by the Miami Heat, 105-100. Marvin Williams was Charlotte’s leading scorer with 16 points on 6-for-7 shooting. Miami made 14 of their 35 three pointers (40.0 percent). Charlotte, on the other hand, did an excellent job of making free throws (19-21; 90.5 percent).
Charlotte should be expected to protect the ball well in this contest. Charlotte ranks first in the league at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 13.3 percent), while Orlando forces the eighth-fewest turnovers (13.9 percent). Additionally, the Magic rank 26th in offensive rebounding percentage (19.2 percent), while the Hornets rank fourth in defensive rebounding percentage (80.6 percent).
Of Orlando’s 23 games that accepted bets, 13 have finished over the projected point total, while 10 of Charlotte’s 21 games have finished over the projected point total. Both teams have very similar records straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS). The Magic are 10-14 SU and 10-12-1 ATS, while the Hornets are 8-13 SU and 9-11-1 ATS.
Aaron Gordon has been solid over the last five games for Orlando, averaging 22.4 points, 8.8 rebounds, 1.8 blocks and 1.6 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to score 233 points, well over the projected point total of 210.5. The Hornets won 120-113, covering as 4-point favorites. The Hornets’ offensive rebounding percentage was their largest strength over the Magic. Charlotte had a rate of 28.6, while Orlando posted a mark of 16.1. Kemba Walker put up a double-double in the victory with 34 points and 10 assists.
Orlando Magic at Charlotte Hornets Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Hornets, ATS Winner – Magic, O/U – Over
- The Hornets rank eighth in points allowed in the paint per game (42.6) while the Magic rank 28th (49.9).
- Charlotte ranks fourth in points off turnovers allowed per game (15.0) while Orlando ranks 18th (17.5).
- Orlando ranks ninth in three pointers allowed per game (26.8) while Charlotte ranks 28th (32.0).
- Orlando averages 5.1 blocks per game, which ranks ninth in the NBA. Charlotte ranks 12th in blocks allowed per game (4.6).
- Charlotte is 7-3 ATS at home, while Orlando is 6-6-1 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 5 of the Hornets 10 home games, while 8 of the Magic’s 13 road games have gone over.
- Charlotte is 4-1 when they allow less than 100 points, while Orlando is 5-1.
- In games where they score over 100 points, the Hornets are 8-6 and the Magic are 10-9.
- The Hornets rank second in fast break points allowed per game (7.3) while the Magic rank 20th (12.0).
- Charlotte ranks third in second chance points allowed per game (10.4) while Orlando ranks 28th (14.2).
- The Hornets rank third in rebounds per game (46.7) while the Magic rank 27th in rebounds allowed per game (46.4).
- The Magic rank 17th in steals per game (7.9) while the Hornets rank last (5.8).
- Orlando ranks fourth in assists per game (23.8) while Charlotte ranks 25th (20.5).
- Charlotte is 2-3 ATS with 2 overs, 2 unders and 1 push in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Orlando is 1-4 ATS with 5 overs.
- The Hornets average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 6.8, up from 1.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Magic have scored an average of 111.6 points per game (3.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 118.4 points per game (7.1 above their season average).