The Orlando Magic (13-32) can snap an 11-game road losing streak when they meet the Boston Celtics (34-12) at TD Garden. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 208 points with Boston set as a 10.5-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 1 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 21, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox SportsNet Florida.
Orlando Magic at Boston Celtics Betting Preview
In the Magic’s last outing, they lost a close one to the Cleveland Cavaliers, 104-103. Aaron Gordon put together a solid game for Orlando, recording 17 points and 10 rebounds. Cleveland had an offensive rebounding percentage of 29.8 (above their season average of 20.3). Orlando, on the other hand, forced the Cavaliers into a turnover percentage of 17.1 (above their season average of 12.8).
The Celtics are hoping for a better outcome after their 89-80 loss to the Philadelphia 76ers in their last matchup. With 14 points, Boston’s Al Horford put together a good game. Philadelphia held the Celtics to an offensive rebounding percentage of 8.3 (below their season average of 21.1). Boston, meanwhile, forced the 76ers into a turnover percentage of 21.5 (above their season average of 15.2).
Boston figures to have the advantage on the defensive side of the ball. The Celtics currently rank first in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.484), while Orlando is 17th in effective field goal percentage (0.516).
Of Orlando’s 45 games, 25 have finished under the O/U total, while 24 of Boston’s 46 games have finished under the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Celtics have a substantial advantage. They are 34-12 SU and 27-17-2 ATS, while the Magic are 13-32 SU and 18-26-1 ATS.
These two teams have met twice already this year, with the Celtics winning both. In the most recent contest, Kyrie Irving scored a game-high 30 points and the Celtics beat the Magic 118-103, covering as 6.5-point favorites. The two teams combined for 221 points, which was 12.5 points above the projected point total of 208.5 points. The Celtics played a nearly flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.187 and a ridiculously low turnover percentage of 7.3. The Magic were 0.126 and 10.4, respectively, for those same stats.
Orlando Magic vs. Boston Celtics Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Celtics, ATS Winner – Magic, O/U – Under
- The Celtics rank 10th in rebounds per game (44.4) while the Magic rank last in rebounds allowed per game (46.0).
- Boston averages 31.5 three pointers per game, which ranks sixth in the league. Orlando ranks eighth in three pointers allowed per game (26.6).
- Boston ranks third in fast break points allowed per game (9.2) while Orlando ranks 22nd (12.5).
- On the road, Orlando is 11-13-1 ATS with 13 unders and 12 overs.
- Boston is 13-10-2 ATS at home with 13 overs and 12 unders.
- When allowing under 100 points, Boston is 24-2 and Orlando is 6-3.
- When reaching the century mark, the Magic are 13-17 and the Celtics are 24-5.
- The Magic rank 21st in points off turnovers per game (15.6) while the Celtics rank 28th (14.5).
- Boston ranks fifth in points allowed in the paint per game (41.7) while Orlando ranks last (49.6).
- The Celtics rank second in assists allowed per game (20.0) while the Magic rank 27th (24.5).
- The Celtics rank 17th in steals per game (7.6) while the Magic rank 18th in steals allowed per game (8.0).
- Boston ranks sixth in second chance points allowed per game (11.1) while Orlando ranks 27th (13.6).
- Boston is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Orlando is 4-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Celtics average margin of victory in their last five games has been 1.6, down from 4.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Magic have scored an average of 106.4 points per game (1.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 111.0 points per game (0.3 above their season average).