The Orlando Magic (9-14) can snap a seven-game road losing streak when they go head-to-head against the New York Knicks (11-10) at Madison Square Garden. Action gets underway at 3:30 p.m. ET on Sunday, December 3, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox SportsNet Florida.
Orlando Magic vs. New York Knicks Odds Preview
In the Magic’s last contest, they were blown out by the Golden State Warriors, 133-112. With 29 points on 12-for-23 shooting, Aaron Gordon was the games high scorer. Golden State had an effective field goal percentage of 0.693 (above their season average of 0.580). Orlando, meanwhile, forced the Warriors into a turnover percentage of 17.0 (above the 12.3 mark opponents have averaged against Orlando this season).
The Knicks will look to keep it rolling after dismantling the Miami Heat in their last matchup, 115-86. New York received a boost from Enes Kanter, who was the top scorer from either team with 22 points on 7-for-9 shooting. New York dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.301 (above their season average of 0.187) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 26.7 (above their season average of 26.6). For those same stats, Miami was 0.143 and 17.0, respectively.
Look for New York to dominate the offensive glass in this battle. The Knicks rank third in offensive rebounding percentage (26.6 percent), while Orlando ranks 29th in defensive rebounding percentage (74.4 percent).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Orlando games have finished over 56.5 percent of the time, while games featuring New York have gone under 57.1 percent of the time. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Knicks have a substantial advantage. They are 11-10 SU and 13-8 ATS, while the Magic are 9-14 SU and 10-12-1 ATS.
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Magic, it’s been Gordon, who has averaged 21.8 points, 9.2 rebounds, 1.6 steals and 1.4 blocks, while the Knicks have gotten solid contributions from Courtney Lee (16.4 points, 3.6 assists and 1.4 steals).
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to put up 211 points in that game, which was just under the projected point total of 215. The Magic won 112-99, covering as 9-point favorites. The Magic played a nearly flawless game. They had a turnover percentage of 11.8 and a free throw rate of 0.163. For those same stats, the Knicks recorded marks of 21.2 and 0.125, respectively. Payton put up a double-double in the victory with 11 points and 11 assists.
Orlando Magic at New York Knicks ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Magic, ATS Winner – Magic, O/U – Over
- The Knicks average 23.4 assists per game, which ranks fifth in the league. The Magic rank 28th in assists allowed per game (25.5).
- Orlando ranks 17th in steals per game (7.9) while New York ranks 26th (7.0).
- Orlando ranks ninth in three pointers allowed per game (27.3) while New York ranks 29th (33.8).
- Orlando averages 5.2 blocks per game, which ranks ninth in the NBA. New York ranks 14th in blocks allowed per game (5.0).
- Orlando is 6-6-1 ATS on the road with 8 overs and 5 unders.
- At home, New York is 11-3 ATS with 7 overs and 7 unders.
- New York is 5-0 when they hold opponents under 100 points, while Orlando is 5-1.
- When scoring over 100 points, the Knicks are 11-4 and the Magic are 9-9.
- The Magic rank 13th in fast break points per game (11.3) while the Knicks rank 29th (6.3).
- New York ranks third in second chance points per game (15.0) while Orlando ranks 28th (9.7).
- The Knicks rank first in rebounds allowed per game (39.8) while the Magic rank 26th (46.4).
- The Magic rank 19th in points off turnovers allowed per game (17.7) while the Knicks rank 25th (19.2).
- New York ranks first in points allowed in the paint per game (38.9) while Orlando ranks 25th (49.7).
- New York is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Orlando is 1-4 ATS with 5 overs.
- The Knicks have been outscored by an average of 0.4 points in their last five games. On the season, New York has defeated opponents by an average of 0.8 points.
- During their last five games, the Magic have scored an average of 111.2 points per game (3.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 122.0 points per game (10.2 above their season average).