The Houston Rockets (35-13) can continue a five-game home winning streak when they meet the Orlando Magic (14-34) at Toyota Center. Houston opened as a 13-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 223.5 points. Action starts at 8 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 30, 2018, and it can be seen on ATTSN Southwest.
Orlando Magic vs. Houston Rockets Odds Preview
The last time the Magic played, they lost a close one to the Indiana Pacers, 114-112. With 22 points on 9-for-20 shooting, Aaron Gordon was Orlando’s high scorer. Indiana had a turnover percentage of 8.6 (better than their season average of 12.0). Orlando, meanwhile, had a free throw rate of 0.260 (above their season average of 0.182).
The Rockets come in on a high note after beating the Phoenix Suns in their last matchup, 113-102. With 27 points on 8-for-21 shooting, James Harden led Houston in scoring. The Rockets made 38 of their 49 free throws (77.6 percent) and held the Suns to an effective field goal percentage of 0.471 (below the 0.535 mark opponents have averaged against Houston this season).
The prolific offense of Houston (second in the NBA with an offensive efficiency of 112.9) will square off against the porous defense of Orlando (27th in the league with a defensive efficiency of 109.6). The Rockets should have the advantage on that end of the court. Also, the Magic, who rank 23rd in offensive rebounding percentage (20.8 percent), could have a tough time getting second chance points against the Rockets, who rank first in defensive rebounding percentage (81.5 percent).
Of Orlando’s 48 games, 27 have finished under the projected point total, while 25 of Houston’s 48 games have finished under the projected point total. The Rockets hold a substantial advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 35-13 SU and 23-24-1 ATS, while the Magic are 14-34 SU and 20-27-1 ATS.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined for 214 points in that game, which was just under the projected point total of 217. The Rockets won 116-98, covering as 7.5-point favorites. Houston’s effective field goal percentage was its biggest advantage over Orlando. The Rockets had a rate of 0.556 while the Magic posted a mark of 0.418. Gerald Green scored a game-high 27 points.
Orlando Magic at Houston Rockets Odds Prediction
NBA Tip: SU Winner – Rockets, ATS Winner – Magic, O/U – Under
- The Rockets rank sixth in second chance points allowed per game (11.4) while the Magic rank 25th (13.4).
- Orlando averages 12.6 fast break points per game, which ranks 11th in the NBA. Houston ranks 23rd in fast break points allowed per game (12.8).
- Houston averages 18.0 points off turnovers per game, which ranks sixth in the league. Orlando ranks 22nd in points off turnovers allowed per game (17.6).
- Orlando averages 4.9 blocks per game, which ranks 11th in the league. Houston ranks 16th in blocks allowed per game (5.0).
- Houston is 10-14-1 ATS at home, while Orlando is 13-13-1 ATS on the road.
- In 27 road games, the Magic have 14 unders and 13 overs.
- In 25 home games, the Rockets have 14 overs and 11 unders.
- When holding opponents under 100 points, Houston is 16-2 and Orlando is 7-3.
- In games where they reach 100 points, the Magic are 14-18 and the Rockets are 34-10.
- The Rockets rank first in three pointers attempted per game (43.1) while the Magic rank 13th (29.1).
- Houston ranks third in rebounds allowed per game (41.1) while Orlando ranks 26th (45.8).
- The Magic average 46.9 points in the paint per game, which ranks eighth in the league. The Rockets rank 28th in points allowed in the paint per game (47.7).
- The Rockets rank 15th in assists allowed per game (22.9) while the Magic rank 27th (24.4).
- Houston ranks third in steals per game (9.0) while Orlando ranks 22nd (7.1).
- Houston is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Orlando is 4-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Rockets’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 6.6, down from 7.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Magic have scored an average of 105.0 points per game (0.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 104.0 points per game (6.4 below their season average).