The Minnesota Golden Gophers (9-3) will be at home in Williams Arena when they go head-to-head with the Oral Roberts Golden Eagles (4-10). Minnesota opened as a 19.5-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 152.5 points. Action gets underway at 8 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 21, 2017.
Oral Roberts Golden Eagles at Minnesota Golden Gophers Odds Preview
In the Golden Eagles last matchup, they got blown out by the Arkansas Razorbacks, 104-69. With 22 points on 10-for-13 shooting, Emmanuel Nzekwesi was the top scorer from either team. Arkansas forced the Golden Eagles into a turnover percentage of 31.7 (above their season average of 16.6). Oral Roberts, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 40.7 (above their season average of 33.6).
The Golden Gophers will look to maintain momentum after barely hanging on to beat the Drake Bulldogs in their last game, 68-67. Minnesota received a boost from Jordan Murphy, who was the games high scorer with 24 points on 11-for-14 shooting. The Golden Gophers had a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 38.9 (above their season average of 35.5) and held the Bulldogs to an effective field goal percentage of 0.467 (below their season average of 0.541).
Minnesota could have their way on the offensive side of the ball as their high-octane offense squares off against one of the worst defenses in the nation. The Golden Gophers rank 43rd in offensive efficiency, while Oral Roberts ranks 332nd in defensive efficiency. Furthermore, the Golden Eagles, who rank 310th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.189), could have a difficult time getting to the line against the Golden Gophers, who rank 53rd in opponents FTA rate (0.187).
Both of these teams tend to go over the projected point total. Oral Roberts games have gone over 72.7 percent of the time, while 72.7 percent of games including Minnesota have finished over. The Golden Gophers come into this game with considerably better straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 9-3 SU and 6-5 ATS, while the Golden Eagles are 4-10 SU and 5-6 ATS.
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Golden Eagles, it’s been Javan White, who has averaged 18.4 points and 12.0 rebounds, while the Golden Gophers have gotten solid contributions from Nate Mason (19.6 points and 4.8 assists).
Oral Roberts Golden Eagles vs. Minnesota Golden Gophers ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Minnesota, ATS Winner – Oral Roberts, O/U – Under
- The Golden Gophers rank 28th in steals allowed per game (5.1) while the Golden Eagles rank 136th (6.9).
- Minnesota ranks 231st in three pointers attempted per game (18.5) while Oral Roberts ranks 240th (18.2).
- Minnesota ranks 30th in assists per game (17.2) while Oral Roberts ranks 234th in assists allowed per game (18.0).
- The Golden Gophers average 42.7 rebounds per game, which ranks ninth in the nation. The Golden Eagles rank 173rd in rebounds allowed per game (36.5).
- Minnesota averages 7.5 blocks per game, which ranks third in the NCAA. Oral Roberts ranks 136th in blocks allowed per game (4.2).
- The Golden Gophers have been outscored by an average of 1.6 points in their last five games. For the season, Minnesota has defeated opponents by an average of 11.6 points.
- During their last five games, the Golden Eagles have scored an average of 70.2 points per game (0.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 78.8 points per game (1.1 below their season average).