The Omaha Mavericks (3-9) can put an end to an eight-game road losing streak when they square off against the No. 13 Kansas Jayhawks (8-2) at Allen Fieldhouse. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 156.5 points with Kansas opening as a 30-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Monday, December 18, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN2.
Omaha Mavericks vs. Kansas Jayhawks Free Preview
The Mavericks had no trouble getting past the Cornell College Rams in their last game, 99-58. With 18 points and 14 rebounds, Omaha’s Zach Jackson played well. Omaha played a perfect game. They had a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 37.0 (above their season average of 28.0) and a free throw rate of 0.138 (matching their season average). Cornell College put up marks of 14.6 and 0.068, respectively, for those same stats.
In the Jayhawks last game, they defeated the Nebraska Cornhuskers, 73-72. With 26 points on 13-for-17 shooting, Udoka Azubuike was the top scorer from either team. Kansas dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a turnover percentage of 14.9 (worse than their season average of 14.8) and a free throw rate of 0.123 (below their season average of 0.141). For those same stats, Nebraska was 18.3 and 0.102, respectively.
The productive offense of Kansas (18th in the nation with an offensive efficiency of 118.4) will battle against the porous defense of Omaha (309th in the nation with a defensive efficiency of 112.9). The Jayhawks figure to have the edge on that side of the ball.
Games featuring these teams have a tendency to finish under the projected point total. Omaha games have finished under 66.7 percent of the time, while 66.7 percent of Kansas games have gone under. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Jayhawks have a significant advantage. They are 8-2 SU and 5-4 ATS, while the Mavericks are 3-9 SU and 5-6-1 ATS.
Jackson has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Omaha, averaging 19.4 points and 6.4 rebounds per game.
Omaha Mavericks vs. Kansas Jayhawks Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Kansas, ATS Winner – Omaha, O/U – Over
- The Jayhawks rank 40th in blocks per game (4.8) while the Mavericks rank 149th in blocks allowed per game (5.4).
- Kansas ranks 32nd in steals per game (8.3) while Omaha ranks 138th in steals allowed per game (7.3).
- Kansas averages 20.0 assists per game, which ranks second in the nation. Omaha ranks 186th in assists allowed per game (15.6).
- The Jayhawks average 26.6 three pointers per game, which ranks 37th in the nation. The Mavericks rank 207th in three pointers allowed per game (23.3).
- Kansas averages 38.1 rebounds per game, which ranks 74th in the NCAA. Omaha ranks 194th in rebounds allowed per game (36.0).
- The Jayhawks average margin of victory in their last five games has been 7.2, down from 19.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Mavericks have scored an average of 78.6 points per game (1.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 77.6 points per game (7.3 below their season average).