The Ole Miss Rebels (11-11, 4-5 SEC) look to put an end to a seven-game road losing streak when they clash with the No. 18 Tennessee Volunteers (16-5, 6-3 SEC) at Thompson-Boling Arena. Action gets underway at 6 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 3, 2018, and it can be seen on SEC Network.
Ole Miss Rebels vs. Tennessee Volunteers Free Preview
In the Rebels’ last matchup, they fell to the No. 11 Auburn Tigers, 79-70. With 16 points on 5-for-14 shooting, Deandre Burnett led Ole Miss in scoring. Auburn’s 12.3 turnover percentage was their biggest advantage over Ole Miss, who had a rate of 19.6. The Tigers’ mark was better than their season average of 14.6, while the Rebels was above their season average of 13.8.
The Volunteers come in on a high note after dismantling the LSU Tigers in their last contest, 84-61. Tennessee received a boost from Grant Williams, who put up 16 points and six rebounds. The Volunteers held the Tigers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 18.9 (below their season average of 31.3) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.639 (above their season average of 0.513).
The offensive glass could be a major edge for Tennessee in this battle. The Volunteers are among the nations elite on the offensive glass, ranking 46th in offensive rebounding percentage at 34.3 percent. Meanwhile, Ole Miss ranks 278th in the NCAA at corralling defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 68.3 percent. Furthermore, the Rebels commit the 34th-fewest errors in the nation (turnover percentage of 16.4 percent), while the disruptive defense of the Volunteers causes the 58th-most (opponents turnover percentage of 21.6 percent).
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. In the last contest, the Volunteers won 75-66. The Volunteers dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.446 and a turnover percentage of 14.3. For those same stats, the Rebels recorded marks of 0.194 and 19.6, respectively.
Ole Miss Rebels vs. Tennessee Volunteers ATS Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Tennessee, ATS Winner – Tennessee, O/U – Over
- The Volunteers average 20.8 three pointers per game, which ranks 177th in the nation. The Rebels rank 214th in three pointers allowed per game (23.8).
- Tennessee averages 16.7 assists per game, which ranks 33rd in the nation. Ole Miss ranks 230th in assists allowed per game (16.0).
- The Volunteers average 36.8 rebounds per game, which ranks 103rd in the nation. The Rebels rank 240th in rebounds allowed per game (38.0).
- Tennessee averages 4.9 blocks per game, which ranks 27th in the NCAA. Ole Miss ranks 78th in blocks allowed per game (3.1).
- The Volunteers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 10.8, up from 9.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Rebels have scored an average of 76.4 points per game (1.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 79.6 points per game (3.6 above their season average).