The Temple Owls (0-0) and the Old Dominion Monarchs (2-0) face off in the Charleston Classic at TD Arena. Temple is a 4.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 130.5 points. Tip-off is set for 1:30 p.m. ET on Thursday, November 16, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Old Dominion Monarchs vs. Temple Owls Free Preview
The last time the Monarchs played, they were victorious over the James Madison Dukes, 69-53. B.J. Stith was the top scorer from either team with 19 points on 6-for-13 shooting. Old Dominion played a nearly flawless game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 26.7 and a free throw rate of 0.288. James Madison was 17.1 and 0.196, respectively, for those same stats.
Last season, Temple did not reach the tournament following a 16-16 regular season.
The offense of Temple will go head-to-head against the elite defense of Old Dominion. Since last season, the Owls rank 199th in offensive efficiency, while the Monarchs were 15th in defensive efficiency. The Monarchs should have the advantage on that side of the ball. Also, the Monarchs rank 31st in offensive rebounding percentage (34.8 percent), while the Owls rank 303rd in defensive rebounding percentage (67.8 percent).
The Monarchs have had a solid 21-12 straight up (SU) record since last season, but are just 14-18 against the spread (ATS). Since last season, games involving Old Dominion have finished under the O/U total 56.3 percent of the time.
On the other side, the Owls were 16-16 SU and 13-14-3 ATS last season. Games involving the Owls finished over the projected point total 66.7 percent of the time.
Old Dominion Monarchs vs. Temple Owls ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Old Dominion, ATS Winner – Old Dominion, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Monarchs average 4.7 blocks per game, which ranks 41st in the nation. The Owls rank 214th in blocks allowed per game (3.9).
- Old Dominion is 28th in the NCAA with 5.0 steals allowed per game while Temple is 57th with 5.4 steals allowed per game.
- Temple ranks 34th in three pointers attempted per game (25.2) while Old Dominion ranks 319th (15.7).
- The Monarchs average 38.3 rebounds per game, which ranks 52nd in the NCAA. The Owls rank 268th in rebounds allowed per game (37.9).
- Old Dominion ranks ninth in assists allowed per game (10.2) while Temple ranks 192nd (13.7).