Big 12 foes will collide when the Baylor Bears (11-6, 1-4 Big 12) go head-to-head with the Oklahoma State Cowboys (12-5, 2-3 Big 12) at Ferrell Center. Baylor opened as a 6-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 142 points. Action starts at 9 p.m. ET on Monday, January 15, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPNU.
Oklahoma State Cowboys vs. Baylor Bears Free Preview
The Cowboys barely escaped the Texas Longhorns in their last game, 65-64. Jeffrey Carroll led Oklahoma State in scoring with 17 points on 7-for-12 shooting. Oklahoma State’s 9.9 turnover percentage was their biggest advantage over Texas, who had a rate of 19.9. The Cowboys mark was better than their season average of 15.6, while the Longhorns was above their season average of 15.1.
In the Bears last matchup, they were beaten by the Iowa State Cyclones, 75-65. Tristan Clark was Baylor’s leading scorer with 16 points on 7-for-13 shooting. Iowa State held the Bears to an effective field goal percentage of 0.373 (below their season average of 0.554). Baylor, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 40.4 (above their season average of 34.4).
Baylor figures to have the edge on the defensive side of the ball. The Bears rank 44th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.465), while Oklahoma State is 187th in effective field goal percentage (0.513).
Games including these teams tend to go under the O/U total. Oklahoma State games have gone under 71.4 percent of the time, while 70.0 percent of Baylor games have gone under. Both teams have very similar records straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS). The Cowboys are 12-5 SU and 5-9 ATS, while the Bears are 11-6 SU and 5-5 ATS.
Carroll has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Oklahoma State, averaging 19.6 points, 6.6 rebounds and 1.4 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Bears won both games played against each other last season. In the last matchup, Baylor won 72-69. Baylor had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (30.8 vs. 20.0). Oklahoma State, on the other hand, had a much better turnover percentage (8.5 vs. 21.1).
Oklahoma State Cowboys at Baylor Bears Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Baylor, ATS Winner – Oklahoma State, O/U – Under
- The Cowboys rank 17th in blocks allowed per game (2.3) while the Bears rank 92nd (3.5).
- Baylor is 2-2 ATS at home, while Oklahoma State is 1-4 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 2 of the Bears 4 home games, while 3 of the Cowboys 5 road games have gone under.
- Oklahoma State ranks 49th in three pointers allowed per game (19.5) while Baylor ranks 202nd (24.1).
- The Cowboys rank 57th in assists per game (15.9) while the Bears rank 197th in assists allowed per game (15.2).
- Baylor averages 39.9 rebounds per game, which ranks 31st in the nation. Oklahoma State ranks 159th in rebounds allowed per game (35.8).
- Baylor is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Oklahoma State is 1-4 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Bears have been outscored by an average of 6.2 points in their last five games. For the season, Baylor has defeated opponents by an average of 10.4 points.
- During their last five games, the Cowboys have scored an average of 82.2 points per game (2.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 86.2 points per game (14.5 above their season average).