The No. 7 Texas Tech Red Raiders (21-4, 9-3 Big 12) will try to lengthen their six-game winning streak against the No. 23 Oklahoma Sooners (16-8, 6-6 Big 12) at United Supermarkets Arena. Texas Tech is a 7.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 156 points. Action starts at 9 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 13, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPNews.
Oklahoma Sooners at Texas Tech Red Raiders Betting Preview
In the Sooners last matchup, they were beaten by the Iowa State Cyclones, 88-80. Oklahoma’s Trae Young had a solid performance, leading the team in scoring with 22 points on 7-for-21 shooting. Iowa State had a turnover percentage of 11.5 (better than their season average of 14.8). Oklahoma, meanwhile, had a better offensive rebounding percentage (34.2 vs. 32.5).
The Red Raiders will look to maintain momentum after thoroughly outplaying the Kansas State Wildcats in their last contest, 66-47. Texas Tech received a boost from Keenan Evans, who was the games leading scorer with 19 points on 6-for-12 shooting. The Red Raiders held the Wildcats to an effective field goal percentage of 0.322 (below their season average of 0.545). The Wildcats also had a turnover percentage of 24.3 (above their season average of 14.9).
A focal point for the Texas Tech offense is getting to the free throw line. The Red Raiders rank 43rd in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.285), but Oklahoma is among the best in the nation at keeping opponents away from the charity stripe (ranking 17th by yielding a FTA rate of 0.178). Additionally, the Sooners rank 26th in offensive efficiency (114.7), while the Red Raiders rank third in defensive efficiency (89.4).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Oklahoma games have gone over 60.9 percent of the time, while 61.9 percent of games including Texas Tech have gone under. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Red Raiders have a clear advantage. They are 21-4 SU and 12-9 ATS, while the Sooners are 16-8 SU and 8-15 ATS.
Evans has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Texas Tech, averaging 25.4 points, 4.2 assists and 1.2 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined for 140 points, well under the projected point total of 162.5. The Sooners won 75-65, covering as 3-point favorites. The Sooners played a nearly perfect game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.295 and a turnover percentage of 12.5. The Red Raiders put up marks of 0.134 and 17.0, respectively, for those same stats. Young recorded a double-double with 27 points and 10 assists.
Oklahoma Sooners vs. Texas Tech Red Raiders Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Texas Tech, ATS Winner – Oklahoma, O/U – Under
- The Red Raiders average 8.1 steals per game, which ranks 18th in the nation. The Sooners rank 168th in steals allowed per game (6.8).
- Texas Tech averages 4.4 blocks per game, which ranks 47th in the NCAA. Oklahoma ranks 183rd in blocks allowed per game (4.5).
- On the road, Oklahoma is 3-9 ATS with 7 overs, 4 unders and 1 push.
- At home, Texas Tech is 6-5 ATS with 7 unders and 4 overs.
- Texas Tech ranks 32nd in rebounds allowed per game (31.6) while Oklahoma ranks 247th (37.9).
- The Red Raiders rank 11th in assists allowed per game (10.0) while the Sooners rank 220th (15.0).
- Oklahoma ranks 28th in three pointers attempted per game (26.7) while Texas Tech ranks 235th (19.4).
- Texas Tech is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Oklahoma is 0-5 ATS with 2 overs, 2 unders and 1 push.
- The Red Raiders average margin of victory in their last five games has been 11.6, down from 14.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Sooners have scored an average of 79.6 points per game (9.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 83.6 points per game (1.6 above their season average).