The Texas Longhorns (14-8, 4-5 Big 12) will try to slow down the NCAA’s top scoring team when they meet the No. 12 Oklahoma Sooners (16-5, 6-3 Big 12) at Frank Erwin Special Events Center. Tip-off is scheduled for 6 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 3, 2018.
Oklahoma Sooners at Texas Longhorns Free Preview
In the Sooners last matchup, they barely escaped the Baylor Bears, 98-96. Trae Young was the top scorer from either team with 44 points on 11-for-20 shooting. The Sooners knocked down 26 of their 32 free throws (81.3 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.643 (above their season average of 0.559).
The Longhorns are hoping for a better outcome after their 73-71 loss to the No. 10 Texas Tech Red Raiders in their last game. With 12 points, 10 rebounds and seven blocks, Mohamed Bamba put together a solid game for Texas. Texas Tech had a free throw rate of 0.462 (above their season average of 0.280). Texas, meanwhile, held the Red Raiders to an offensive rebounding percentage of 21.2 (below their season average of 34.5).
Points at the line could be rare for Texas in this showdown. The Longhorns currently rank 211th in the NCAA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.230, while Oklahoma ranks 10th in FTA rate allowed (0.169). Additionally, the Sooners rank 22nd in offensive efficiency (116.0), while the Longhorns rank 33rd in defensive efficiency (95.8).
Bamba has been exceptional over the last five games for Texas, averaging 16.8 points, 12.2 rebounds and 3.6 blocks per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting two games last season. In the last matchup, the Sooners won 70-66. The Sooners dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.373 and a turnover percentage of 11.0. The Longhorns were 0.117 and 16.2, respectively, for those same stats.
Oklahoma Sooners at Texas Longhorns Odds Prediction
Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Texas, ATS Winner – Texas, O/U – Under
- The Longhorns rank 108th in three pointers allowed per game (21.3) while the Sooners rank 263rd (26.7).
- Texas ranks 50th in steals allowed per game (5.4) while Oklahoma ranks 128th (6.5).
- Oklahoma ranks 34th in assists per game (16.7) while Texas ranks 227th (11.8).
- The Sooners rank 15th in rebounds per game (40.2) while the Longhorns rank 202nd in rebounds allowed per game (36.5).
- Texas averages 5.9 blocks per game, which ranks 10th in the nation. Oklahoma ranks 175th in blocks allowed per game (4.7).
- The Longhorns average margin of victory in their last five games has been 0.2, down from 6.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Sooners have scored an average of 81.2 points per game (9.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 85.2 points per game (3.1 above their season average).