The Washington Wizards (27-22) will attempt to put an end to the eight-game winning streak of Oklahoma City when they welcome the Thunder (30-20) to Capital One Arena. Oklahoma City is a 3.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 219.5 points. Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 30, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox SportsNet Oklahoma.
Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Washington Wizards Free Preview
The last time the Thunder played, they beat the Philadelphia 76ers, 122-112. Russell Westbrook was the top scorer from either team with 37 points on 14-for-33 shooting. The Thunder had a turnover percentage of 8.7 (better than their season average of 12.2) and had an offensive rebounding percentage of 37.8 (above their season average of 28.2).
The Wizards come in on a high note after blowing out the Atlanta Hawks in their last contest, 129-104. With 23 points on 9-for-12 shooting, Markieff Morris was the top scorer from either team. Washington made 18 of their 32 three pointers (56.3 percent). Atlanta, meanwhile, was 12-43 (27.9 percent).
This has potential to be a sloppy game for the offense of Washington. Washington ranks 13th in the NBA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 13.8 percent), while the gambling defense of Oklahoma City forces the second-most turnovers in the NBA (15.7 percent). Also, the Thunder, who rank first in offensive rebounding percentage (28.4 percent), will square off against the Wizards, who rank 22nd in defensive rebounding percentage (76.3 percent).
Of Oklahoma City’s 50 games, 27 have finished under the O/U total, while 26 of Washington’s 49 games have finished under the O/U total. Both teams have very similar records straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS). The Thunder are 30-20 SU and 21-28-1 ATS, while the Wizards are 27-22 SU and 21-28 ATS.
Paul George has really been playing well as of late for Oklahoma City, averaging 24.2 points, 5.2 rebounds and 1.4 steals over the last five games.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to score 233 points, well over the projected point total of 214. The Thunder won 121-112, covering as 6-point favorites. The Thunder dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.253 and a turnover percentage of 12.3. For those same stats, the Wizards were 0.140 and 19.8, respectively. In the loss, Bradley Beal recorded a double-double with 41 points and 12 rebounds.
Oklahoma City Thunder at Washington Wizards ATS Prediction
Free Pick: SU Winner – Thunder, ATS Winner – Thunder, O/U – Over
- The Thunder rank first in steals per game (9.4) while the Wizards rank 14th (7.8).
- Oklahoma City ranks fifth in fast break points per game (14.2) while Washington ranks 12th (11.4).
- Oklahoma City ranks fifth in points allowed in the paint per game (41.8) while Washington ranks 18th (45.0).
- Oklahoma City ranks 10th in blocks per game (5.0) while Washington ranks 14th in blocks allowed per game (4.7).
- Oklahoma City is 10-14 ATS on the road with 13 unders and 11 overs.
- At home, Washington is 8-16 ATS with 12 overs, 10 unders and 2 pushes.
- Washington is 13-2 when they allow less than 100 points, while Oklahoma City is 17-5.
- When reaching 100 points, the Wizards are 24-11 and the Thunder are 26-9.
- The Thunder rank first in points off turnovers per game (18.7) while the Wizards rank 14th in points off turnovers allowed per game (16.0).
- Oklahoma City averages 15.1 second chance points per game, which ranks first in the league. Washington ranks 29th in second chance points allowed per game (13.8).
- The Wizards rank eighth in assists per game (23.5) while the Thunder rank 26th (21.0).
- The Thunder rank 14th in three pointers attempted per game (29.0) while the Wizards rank 19th in three pointers allowed per game (29.5).
- Oklahoma City ranks second in rebounds allowed per game (41.0) while Washington ranks 17th (43.6).
- Washington is 2-3 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Oklahoma City is 4-1 ATS with 5 overs.
- The Wizards have been outscored by an average of 4.2 points in their last five games. For the season, Washington has defeated opponents by an average of 1.6 points.
- During their last five games, the Thunder have scored an average of 124.2 points per game (17.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 112.8 points per game (10.8 above their season average).