The Oklahoma City Thunder (37-27) will attempt to put an end to the five-game winning streak of Portland when they head to Moda Center at the Rose Quarter to clash with the Trail Blazers (36-26). Portland is a 4-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 213 points. Action starts at 10 p.m. ET on Saturday, March 3, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox SportsNet Oklahoma.
Oklahoma City Thunder at Portland Trail Blazers ATS Preview
In the Thunder’s last matchup, they beat the Phoenix Suns, 124-116. Russell Westbrook was the games high scorer with 43 points on 16-for-25 shooting. Oklahoma City dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.219 (above their season average of 0.189) and a turnover percentage of 9.2 (better than their season average of 12.1). For those same stats, Phoenix was 0.135 and 11.1, respectively.
The Trail Blazers hope to keep it rolling after defeating the Minnesota Timberwolves in their last game, 108-99. With 35 points on 9-for-22 shooting, Damian Lillard was the top scorer from either team. Portland played a nearly perfect game. They had an absurdly low turnover percentage of 6.9 (better than their season average of 12.2) and a free throw rate of 0.293 (above their season average of 0.191). Minnesota put up marks of 13.7 and 0.224, respectively, for those same stats.
From an effective field goal percentage perspective, Portland figures to have a noteworthy advantage. The Trail Blazers defense ranks fifth in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.503), while the Oklahoma City offense is ranked 20th in effective field goal percentage (0.512).
Of Oklahoma City’s 63 games with betting action, 34 have finished under the O/U total, while 35 of Portland’s 62 games have finished under the projected point total. Both teams have decent straight up (SU) records (37-27 for Oklahoma City; 36-26 for Portland), but the Trail Blazers have the edge against the spread (ATS). Portland is 31-25-6 ATS, while the Thunder are 24-38-1.
Lillard has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Portland, averaging 34.6 points, 5.8 assists and 1.2 steals per game.
These two teams have already met twice this year, with the Trail Blazers winning both. In the most recent contest, CJ McCollum scored a game-high 27 points and the Trail Blazers, who were 8-point underdogs, beat the Thunder 117-106. He also put up seven assists. The two teams combined to score 223 points, which was 18 points above the projected point total of 205 points. Portland did a terrific job of getting and making free throws (21-26; 80.8 percent). Oklahoma City, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (12.8 vs. 14.0).
Oklahoma City Thunder at Portland Trail Blazers Odds Prediction
Free NBA Pick: SU Winner – Trail Blazers, ATS Winner – Trail Blazers, O/U – Under
- The Trail Blazers rank fourth in three pointers allowed per game (26.5) while the Thunder rank 22nd (30.5).
- Oklahoma City averages 5.0 blocks per game, which ranks ninth in the league. Portland ranks 21st in blocks allowed per game (5.1).
- Portland ranks second in assists allowed per game (20.2) while Oklahoma City ranks 17th (23.3).
- Portland ranks fourth in points allowed in the paint per game (41.8) while Oklahoma City ranks ninth (43.1).
- On the road, Oklahoma City is 12-20 ATS with 17 unders and 15 overs.
- At home, Portland is 14-13-3 ATS with 16 unders and 14 overs.
- When holding opponents below 100 points, Oklahoma City is 18-5 and Portland is 20-5.
- The Trail Blazers are 31-13 when they score above 100 points, while the Thunder are 33-13.
- The Thunder rank third in rebounds allowed per game (41.5) while the Trail Blazers rank 16th (43.0).
- Oklahoma City ranks first in steals per game (9.0) while Portland ranks 26th (7.0).
- The Thunder rank fourth in fast break points per game (14.7) while the Trail Blazers rank 29th (7.6).
- The Thunder average 15.2 second chance points per game, which ranks first in the NBA. The Trail Blazers rank 12th in second chance points allowed per game (12.0).
- Oklahoma City ranks second in points off turnovers per game (18.5) while Portland ranks 25th (14.7).
- Portland is 4-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Oklahoma City is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Trail Blazers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 10.6, up from 1.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Thunder have scored an average of 107.4 points per game (0.7 above their season average) and allowed an average of 110.0 points per game (6.3 above their season average).