The Phoenix Suns (15-26) will be at home in Talking Stick Resort Arena when they meet the Oklahoma City Thunder (22-17). Action begins at 8 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 7, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox SportsNet Oklahoma.
Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Phoenix Suns Odds Preview
In the Thunder’s last contest, they beat the Los Angeles Clippers, 127-117. With 29 points, 12 rebounds and 11 assists, Russell Westbrook led the way for Oklahoma City with his 12th triple-double of the season. Oklahoma City’s 0.616 effective field goal percentage was their biggest advantage over Los Angeles, who had a mark of 0.495. The Thunder’s mark was above their season average of 0.511.
The Suns are trying to rebound after their 103-89 loss to the San Antonio Spurs in their last outing. Devin Booker led Phoenix in scoring with 21 points on 8-for-17 shooting. San Antonio forced the Suns into a turnover percentage of 20.2 (above their season average of 13.4). Phoenix, on the other hand, had a better free throw rate (0.145 vs. 0.115).
The ineffective offense of Phoenix (27th in the league with an offensive efficiency of 102.9) will face off against the stingy defense of Oklahoma City (fifth in the league with a defensive efficiency of 103.5). The Thunder should have the advantage on that side of the ball. Also, the Thunder rank first in offensive rebounding percentage (27.3 percent), while the Suns rank 26th in defensive rebounding percentage (76.1 percent).
Of Oklahoma City’s 39 games, 22 have finished under the projected point total, while 21 of Phoenix’s 41 games have finished over the O/U total. The Thunder have the superior straight up (SU) record (22-17 vs. 15-26), but the Suns hold the significant advantage against the spread (ATS) (19-20-2 vs. 15-23-1).
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Thunder, it’s been Westbrook, who has averaged 31.8 points, 11.2 assists, 9.8 rebounds and 1.6 steals, while the Suns have gotten great contributions from Marquese Chriss (13.0 points, 8.6 rebounds, 1.8 steals and 1.2 blocks).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting four games last season. The Suns won the most recent contest 120-99. The Suns dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a superb effective field goal percentage of 0.566 and a superb free throw rate of 0.313. For those same stats, the Thunder put up marks of 0.408 and 0.261, respectively.
Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Phoenix Suns Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Suns, ATS Winner – Suns, O/U – Over
- The Thunder rank second in rebounds allowed per game (41.2) while the Suns rank 26th (45.2).
- Oklahoma City ranks ninth in blocks allowed per game (4.5) while Phoenix ranks 25th (5.4).
- Oklahoma City averages 14.3 second chance points per game, which ranks fifth in the league. Phoenix ranks 27th in second chance points allowed per game (13.9).
- Phoenix averages 26.3 three pointers per game, which ranks 22nd in the NBA. Oklahoma City ranks 24th in three pointers allowed per game (30.6).
- Phoenix is 8-12-1 ATS at home, while Oklahoma City is 7-12 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 10 of the Suns 21 home games, while 10 of the Thunder’s 19 road games have gone under.
- Phoenix is 5-2 when they hold opponents under 100 points, while Oklahoma City is 14-5.
- The Suns are 11-16 when they score above 100 points, while the Thunder are 19-7.
- The Thunder rank fifth in points allowed in the paint per game (41.6) while the Suns rank 26th (48.5).
- Oklahoma City ranks first in steals per game (9.6) while Phoenix ranks 27th in steals allowed per game (8.8).
- The Thunder average 18.7 points off turnovers per game, which ranks second in the league. The Suns rank 26th in points off turnovers allowed per game (19.0).
- The Thunder rank 24th in assists per game (21.1) while the Suns rank 29th (20.7).
- Oklahoma City ranks third in fast break points per game (14.4) while Phoenix ranks 27th in fast break points allowed per game (13.9).
- Phoenix is 1-3-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Oklahoma City is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Suns average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 7.8, up from 6.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Thunder have scored an average of 118.4 points per game (13.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 106.6 points per game (5.8 above their season average).