The Minnesota Timberwolves (26-16) can prolong a five-game home winning streak when they meet the Oklahoma City Thunder (22-19) at Target Center. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 209.5 points with Minnesota set as a 3.5-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 10, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN.
Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Minnesota Timberwolves Free Preview
The Thunder were beaten by the Portland Trail Blazers in their last contest, 117-106. With 22 points on 7-for-20 shooting, Russell Westbrook led Oklahoma City in scoring. Portland did a fantastic job of getting and making free throws (21-26; 80.8 percent). Oklahoma City, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (12.8 vs. 14.0).
In the Timberwolves last matchup, they dismantled the Cleveland Cavaliers, 127-99. Karl-Anthony Towns had a good game for Minnesota, putting up 19 points and 12 rebounds. Minnesota played a nearly flawless game. They had an extraordinarily low turnover percentage of 4.4 (better than their season average of 11.5) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 34.1 (above their season average of 24.6). For those same stats, Cleveland was 12.5 and 16.3, respectively.
Ball security could play a key role in this battle. Minnesota commits the second-fewest miscues in the league (turnover percentage of 12.5 percent), while the pesky defense of Oklahoma City forces the second-most (opponents turnover percentage of 15.8 percent). Additionally, the Thunder, who rank first in offensive rebounding percentage (27.1 percent), will attempt to exploit the Timberwolves, who rank 22nd in defensive rebounding percentage (76.5 percent).
Of Oklahoma City’s 40 games that accepted bets, 23 have finished under the O/U total, while 21 of Minnesota’s 42 games have finished over the projected point total. The Timberwolves come into this game with considerably better straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 26-16 SU and 19-21-2 ATS, while the Thunder are 22-19 SU and 15-24-1 ATS.
Andrew Wiggins has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Minnesota, averaging 16.4 points, 1.6 steals and 1.2 blocks per game.
These two teams have already met three times this year, with the Timberwolves winning three of them. In the most recent contest, Paul George scored a game-high 36 points and the Thunder beat the Timberwolves 111-107 but were not able to cover as 5-point favorites. He also put up nine assists. The two teams combined to put up 218 points, which was 9.5 points above the projected point total of 208.5 points. Oklahoma City had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (39.4 vs. 17.1). Minnesota, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (15.8 vs. 16.9).
Oklahoma City Thunder at Minnesota Timberwolves Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Timberwolves, ATS Winner – Timberwolves, O/U – Under
- The Timberwolves rank fifth in points in the paint per game (47.7) while the Thunder rank 21st (41.9).
- Minnesota ranks seventh in second chance points per game (14.1) while Oklahoma City ranks 16th in second chance points allowed per game (12.4).
- Oklahoma City ranks 16th in three pointers attempted per game (29.0) while Minnesota ranks 28th (22.8).
- On the road, Oklahoma City is 7-13 ATS with 11 unders and 9 overs.
- Minnesota is 8-12-1 ATS at home with 10 overs, 10 unders and 1 push.
- In games where they hold opponents under 100 points, Oklahoma City is 14-5 and Minnesota is 13-4.
- In games where they reach 100 points, the Thunder are 19-9 and the Timberwolves are 24-8.
- The Thunder rank third in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.5) while the Timberwolves rank 13th (15.7).
- Oklahoma City averages 14.4 fast break points per game, which ranks fourth in the NBA. Minnesota ranks 24th in fast break points allowed per game (12.8).
- The Timberwolves rank first in steals allowed per game (6.4) while the Thunder rank 19th (8.0).
- The Timberwolves allow the second-fewest rebounds per game (41.2) while the Thunder rank fourth (41.3).
- Oklahoma City ranks eighth in blocks per game (5.1) while Minnesota ranks 25th (4.1).
- Minnesota is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Oklahoma City is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Timberwolves average margin of victory in their last five games has been 11.2, up from 3.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Thunder have scored an average of 115.8 points per game (11.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 112.0 points per game (10.5 above their season average).