The Los Angeles Lakers (11-25), who are currently on a seven-game losing streak, look to get back in the win column when they welcome the Oklahoma City Thunder (20-17) to Staples Center. Tip-off is set for 10:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 3, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN.
Oklahoma City Thunder at Los Angeles Lakers Odds Preview
The Thunder lost a tough one against the Dallas Mavericks in their last contest, 116-113. Despite the loss, Oklahoma City’s Russell Westbrook notched his 11th triple-double of the season. He took over, racking up 38 points, 15 rebounds and 11 assists. Dallas had a turnover percentage of 6.9 (better than their season average of 12.0). Oklahoma City, on the other hand, did a terrific job of converting from the free throw line (17-23; 73.9 percent).
In the Lakers last matchup, they were beaten by the Minnesota Timberwolves, 114-96. With 15 points and 12 rebounds, Julius Randle played well for Los Angeles. Minnesota forced the Lakers into a turnover percentage of 21.3 (above their season average of 13.6). Los Angeles, meanwhile, had a better offensive rebounding percentage (20.9 vs. 20.0).
This has potential to be an error-filled game for the offense of Los Angeles. Los Angeles ranks 28th in the NBA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 15.3 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of Oklahoma City forces the most turnovers in the league (16.2 percent). ,
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Oklahoma City games have finished under 59.5 percent of the time, while 55.6 percent of games involving Los Angeles have gone over. The Thunder hold the substantial advantage straight up (SU) (20-17 vs. 11-25), but the Lakers have been better against the spread (ATS) (17-19 vs. 13-23-1).
Westbrook has been exceptional over the last five games for Oklahoma City, averaging 31.6 points, 11.6 assists, 9.0 rebounds and 1.8 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will battle this year, after the Thunder won two out of three contests last season. In the most recent matchup, Oklahoma City won 110-93. The Thunder dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.124 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.505. The Lakers put up marks of 0.059 and 0.431, respectively, for those same stats.
Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Los Angeles Lakers Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Lakers, ATS Winner – Lakers, O/U – Over
- The Thunder rank second in rebounds allowed per game (41.0) while the Lakers rank 27th (45.6).
- Oklahoma City ranks ninth in blocks per game (5.1) while Los Angeles ranks 28th in blocks allowed per game (6.1).
- Oklahoma City averages 9.7 steals per game, which ranks first in the NBA. Los Angeles ranks 25th in steals allowed per game (8.2).
- Oklahoma City ranks 17th in three pointers attempted per game (28.8) while Los Angeles ranks 21st in three pointers allowed per game (29.9).
- Oklahoma City is 5-12 ATS on the road with 10 unders and 7 overs.
- Los Angeles is 8-10 ATS at home with 11 overs and 7 unders.
- Los Angeles is 5-3 when they allow below 100 points, while Oklahoma City is 13-5.
- The Lakers are 11-15 when they score more than 100 points, while the Thunder are 17-7.
- The Lakers rank eighth in assists per game (23.0) while the Thunder rank 28th (20.7).
- Oklahoma City averages 18.9 points off turnovers per game, which ranks second in the league. Los Angeles ranks 28th in points off turnovers allowed per game (19.2).
- The Thunder average 14.4 second chance points per game, which ranks fourth in the NBA. The Lakers rank last in second chance points allowed per game (14.3).
- The Thunder average 14.2 fast break points per game, which ranks fourth in the NBA. The Lakers rank 19th in fast break points allowed per game (11.7).
- Oklahoma City ranks fourth in points allowed in the paint per game (41.0) while Los Angeles ranks 29th (50.2).
- Los Angeles is 1-4 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Oklahoma City is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Lakers average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 13.2, up from 4.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Thunder have scored an average of 109.4 points per game (5.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 103.2 points per game (2.7 above their season average).