The Dallas Mavericks (19-42) will be at home in American Airlines Center when they take on the Oklahoma City Thunder (35-27). Oklahoma City is a 5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 214 points. Action starts at 8:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 28, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox SportsNet Oklahoma.
Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Dallas Mavericks Odds Preview
The Thunder were victorious over the Orlando Magic in their last outing, 112-105. Paul George was the top scorer from either team with 26 points on 9-for-20 shooting. Oklahoma City dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a ridiculous offensive rebounding percentage of 34.1 (above their season average of 28.0) and a free throw rate of 0.193 (above their season average of 0.189). For those same stats, Orlando was 18.2 and 0.179, respectively.
The last time the Mavericks played, they topped the Indiana Pacers, 109-103. Dallas’ Dwight Powell played a key role with 10 points and 14 rebounds. The Mavericks had 9 steals and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.534 (above their season average of 0.514).
Based on historical performance heading into this one, ball protection could play a significant role in this contest. Dallas commits the second-fewest miscues in the NBA (turnover percentage of 12.1 percent), while the disruptive defense of Oklahoma City forces the second-most (opponents’ turnover percentage of 15.3 percent).Of Oklahoma City’s 62 games, 34 have finished under the projected point total, while 33 of Dallas’ 61 games have finished under the O/U total. The Thunder have the superior straight up (SU) record (35-27 vs. 19-42), but the
Mavericks hold the sizable advantage against the spread (ATS) (31-30 vs. 24-37-1).
These two teams have already met three times this season, with the Mavericks winning two of them. In the most recent matchup, the Thunder lost 116-113, unable to cover as 8-point favorites. Russell Westbrook registered a triple-double with 38 points, 15 rebounds and 11 assists. The two teams combined to put up 229 points, which was 25 points above the projected point total of 204 points. The Mavericks’ 6.9 turnover percentage was their largest strength over the Thunder, who had a mark of 10.0.
Oklahoma City Thunder at Dallas Mavericks Odds Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Mavericks, ATS Winner – Mavericks, O/U – Under
- The Thunder rank fourth in rebounds allowed per game (41.5) while the Mavericks rank 26th (45.3).
- Oklahoma City ranks 10th in blocks per game (5.0) while Dallas ranks 27th (3.9).
- Oklahoma City averages 14.5 fast break points per game, which ranks fourth in the league. Dallas ranks 25th in fast break points allowed per game (13.9).
- Dallas ranks 17th in assists per game (22.4) while Oklahoma City ranks 26th (21.2).
- On the road, Oklahoma City is 12-19 ATS with 17 unders and 14 overs.
- Dallas is 14-17 ATS at home with 17 unders, 13 overs and 1 push.
- Dallas is 13-11 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Oklahoma City is 18-5.
- In games where they score above 100 points, the Thunder are 31-13 and the Mavericks are 13-19.
- The Mavericks rank fourth in three pointers attempted per game (32.6) while the Thunder rank 24th in three pointers allowed per game (30.5).
- Oklahoma City ranks first in second chance points per game (15.1) while Dallas ranks last (10.1).
- The Thunder rank first in points off turnovers per game (18.5) while the Mavericks rank 29th (14.3).
- The Thunder rank 18th in points in the paint per game (43.3) while the Mavericks rank 28th (38.2).
- Oklahoma City ranks first in steals per game (9.1) while Dallas ranks 24th (7.1).
- Dallas is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Oklahoma City is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Mavericks’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 7.0, up from 2.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Thunder have scored an average of 107.0 points per game (0.7 above their season average) and allowed an average of 111.6 points per game (8.2 above their season average).