The Houston Rockets (64-15), 7-point favorites, welcome the Oklahoma City Thunder (45-34) to Toyota Center to kick off Western Conference play. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 219.5 points and it can be seen on ABC at 8:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, April 7, 2018.
Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Houston Rockets Betting Odds
In their last outing, the Rockets won a close one over the Portland Trail Blazers, 96-94, while the Thunder fell to the Golden State Warriors, 111-107.
Houston dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.205 (below their season average of 0.236) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.555 (above their season average of 0.552). For those same stats, Portland recorded marks of 0.106 and 0.500, respectively. Oklahoma City, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 39.3 (above their season average of 27.7). Houston’s Chris Paul had a solid performance, finishing with 27 points and five assists. Meanwhile, Oklahoma City was led by Russell Westbrook, who had 44 points, 16 rebounds and six assists.
The high-powered offense of Houston (first in the league with an offensive efficiency of 113.5) will go head-to-head against the mid-tier defense of Oklahoma City (11th in the league with a defensive efficiency of 105.7). The Rockets figure to have the edge on that end of the court. Also, the Thunder, who rank first in offensive rebounding percentage (27.9 percent), will face a difficult challenge against the Rockets, who rank third in defensive rebounding percentage (80.0 percent).
Of the Thunder’s 79 games, 44 have finished under the total. Oklahoma City comes into the contest with records of 45-34 straight up (SU) and 31-46-2 against the spread (ATS).
Games involving the Rockets also have typically gone under the total (55.7 percent). Additionally, Houston is 64-15 SU and 41-36-2 ATS.
The Rockets won the most recent matchup 122-112 to even the season series at one. James Harden put up a double-double in the victory with 23 points and 11 assists. Houston was successful at getting and making free throws. The Rockets made 29 of their 34 free throws (85.3 percent), while the Thunder were 8-11 (72.7 percent). The two teams combined for 234 points, which was over the projected point total of 219.5, and Houston covered as a 5.5-point favorite.
Oklahoma City Thunder at Houston Rockets Betting Pick
Free Prediction: SU Winner – Thunder, ATS Winner – Thunder, O/U – Under
- The Rockets rank 24th in assists per game (21.7) while the Thunder rank 28th (21.2).
- Houston ranks first in three pointers attempted per game (42.3) while Oklahoma City ranks 24th in three pointers allowed per game (30.6).
- The Thunder rank fifth in rebounds per game (45.1) while the Rockets rank 18th (43.5).
- Oklahoma City ranks third in fast break points per game (15.1) while Houston ranks 15th (11.5).
- Oklahoma City ranks first in steals per game (9.1) while Houston ranks 10th in steals allowed per game (7.3).
- The Thunder rank first in second chance points per game (15.1) while the Rockets rank 21st (11.5).
- The Thunder rank first in points off turnovers per game (18.6) while the Rockets rank 11th in points off turnovers allowed per game (15.7).
- Oklahoma City ranks seventh in points allowed in the paint per game (43.3) while Houston ranks 25th (48.1).
- When holding opponents under 100 points, Oklahoma City is 21-5 and Houston is 31-2.
- The Thunder are 41-18 when they score more than 100 points, while the Rockets are 61-11.
- Houston is 17-22-1 ATS at home, while Oklahoma City is 16-23 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone under in 21 of the Thunder’s 39 road games, while 21 of the Rockets 40 home games have gone under.
- In their last five games, Oklahoma City and Houston have both had 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Rockets are 2-3 ATS over their last five games, while the Thunder are 1-4.
- The Rockets average margin of victory in their last five games has been 6.8, down from 9.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Thunder have scored an average of 109.0 points per game (1.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 110.4 points per game (6.0 above their season average).