Northwest Division foes will battle when the Denver Nuggets (26-25) take on the Oklahoma City Thunder (30-21) at Pepsi Center. Action begins at 10:30 p.m. ET on Thursday, February 1, 2018, and it can be seen on TNT.
Oklahoma City Thunder at Denver Nuggets Odds Preview
In the Thunder’s last outing, they were beaten by the Washington Wizards, 102-96. Oklahoma City’s Steven Adams recorded 16 points and 12 rebounds in the game. Washington forced the Thunder into a turnover percentage of 17.4 (above their season average of 12.1). Oklahoma City, on the other hand, held the Wizards to an offensive rebounding percentage of 15.6 (below their season average of 22.8).
The Nuggets are hoping for a better outcome after their 106-104 loss to the San Antonio Spurs in their last outing. Jamal Murray was Denver’s leading scorer with 18 points on 5-for-12 shooting. San Antonio had an offensive rebounding percentage of 31.7 (above their season average of 23.2). Denver, on the other hand, did a great job of converting from the free throw line (14-14; 100.0 percent).
This has potential to be an error-filled game for the offense of Denver. Denver ranks 29th in the NBA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 15.1 percent), while the pesky defense of Oklahoma City forces the second-most turnovers in the league (15.6 percent).
Of Oklahoma City’s 51 games, 28 have finished under the projected point total, while 30 of Denver’s 51 games have finished under the O/U total. The Thunder have the superior straight up (SU) record (30-21 vs. 26-25), but both teams have comparable against the spread (ATS) records. Oklahoma City is 21-29-1 ATS, while Denver is 22-26-3 ATS.
Murray has been solid over the last five games for Denver, averaging 23.0 points and 5.2 assists per game.
These two teams have already met twice this year, each winning once. Russell Westbrook scored a game-high 38 points in the most recent game, in which the Thunder defeated the Nuggets 95-94 but could not cover as 4.5-point favorites. He also had nine rebounds and six assists. The two teams combined for 189 points, which was 22.5 points below the projected point total of 211.5 points. The Thunder played a nearly perfect game. They had a free throw rate of 0.123 and a turnover percentage of 10.2. For those same stats, the Nuggets put up marks of 0.093 and 10.8, respectively.
Oklahoma City Thunder at Denver Nuggets Betting Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Nuggets, ATS Winner – Nuggets, O/U – Over
- The Thunder rank third in points allowed in the paint per game (41.6) while the Nuggets rank 19th (45.6).
- Oklahoma City averages 14.2 fast break points per game, which ranks fifth in the league. Denver ranks 15th in fast break points allowed per game (11.8).
- Denver ranks ninth in three pointers attempted per game (30.1) while Oklahoma City ranks 24th in three pointers allowed per game (30.5).
- Denver averages 45.1 rebounds per game, which ranks fifth in the league. Oklahoma City ranks third in rebounds allowed per game (41.0).
- Denver is 13-12-1 ATS at home, while Oklahoma City is 10-15 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone under in 14 of the Thunder’s 25 road games, while 16 of the Nuggets’ 26 home games have gone under.
- When allowing below 100 points, Denver is 13-2 and Oklahoma City is 17-5.
- The Thunder are 26-9 when they reach 100 points, while the Nuggets are 20-16.
- The Nuggets rank second in second chance points allowed per game (9.7) while the Thunder rank 16th (12.2).
- Oklahoma City averages 18.6 points off turnovers per game, which ranks second in the NBA. Denver ranks 29th in points off turnovers allowed per game (19.2).
- The Thunder average 9.4 steals per game, which ranks first in the league. The Nuggets rank 23rd in steals allowed per game (8.3).
- The Thunder rank 11th in blocks per game (5.0) while the Nuggets rank 16th in blocks allowed per game (4.8).
- Denver ranks sixth in assists per game (23.8) while Oklahoma City ranks 26th (21.0).
- Denver is 2-2-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Oklahoma City is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Nuggets’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 2.8, up from 0.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Thunder have scored an average of 113.8 points per game (7.7 above their season average) and allowed an average of 108.4 points per game (6.4 above their season average).