The Atlanta Hawks (20-47) will be at home in Philips Arena when they go head-to-head against the Oklahoma City Thunder (40-29). Action starts at 7:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday, March 13, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox SportsNet Oklahoma.
Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Atlanta Hawks Odds Preview
The last time the Thunder played, they beat the Sacramento Kings, 106-101. With 17 points, 11 assists and 10 rebounds, Russell Westbrook led the way for Oklahoma City with his 19th triple-double this year. Oklahoma City played a nearly flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.167 (matching their season average) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.548 (above their season average of 0.513). Sacramento had marks of 0.140 and 0.473, respectively, for those same stats.
The Hawks are hoping for a better outcome after their 129-122 loss to the Chicago Bulls in their last contest. Taurean Prince was the game’s high scorer with 38 points on 11-for-18 shooting. Chicago had a turnover percentage of 4.5 (better than their season average of 12.0). Atlanta, meanwhile, did a terrific job of making free throws (19-22; 86.4 percent).
It could be a mistake-prone game for the Atlanta offense. Atlanta ranks 29th in the league in ball protection (turnover percentage of 15.2 percent), while the gambling defense of Oklahoma City forces the second-most turnovers in the league (15.2 percent). Also, the Thunder rank first in offensive rebounding percentage (27.8 percent), while the Hawks rank 29th in defensive rebounding percentage (75.3 percent).
Of Oklahoma City’s 68 games with betting action, 37 have finished under the projected point total, while 35 of Atlanta’s 67 games have finished under the O/U total. The Thunder have the better straight up (SU) record (40-29 vs. 20-47), but the Hawks hold the significant advantage against the spread (ATS) (33-32-2 vs. 27-40-1).
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined for 237 points in that game, which was well over the projected point total of 202.5. The Thunder won 120-117, but were unable to cover as 12-point favorites. The Thunder played a nearly flawless game. They had a ridiculous offensive rebounding percentage of 42.9 and a free throw rate of 0.232. For those same stats, the Hawks were 21.9 and 0.165, respectively. Westbrook put up a double-double in the victory with 30 points and 15 assists.
Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Atlanta Hawks Betting Prediction
NBA Pick: SU Winner – Hawks, ATS Winner – Hawks, O/U – Under
- The Thunder rank fourth in rebounds per game (45.0) while the Hawks rank 27th (41.0).
- Oklahoma City ranks eighth in blocks per game (5.1) while Atlanta ranks 25th in blocks allowed per game (5.3).
- Atlanta ranks eighth in assists per game (23.6) while Oklahoma City ranks 29th (21.1).
- Oklahoma City ranks 15th in points in the paint per game (43.9) while Atlanta ranks 28th (40.7).
- Atlanta is 18-17 ATS at home, while Oklahoma City is 13-21 ATS on the road.
- The Thunder have 18 unders and 16 overs in 34 road games.
- The Hawks have 17 overs, 16 unders and 2 pushes in 35 home games.
- Atlanta is 9-4 when they allow below 100 points, while Oklahoma City is 20-5.
- The Thunder are 36-15 when they score over 100 points, while the Hawks are 18-26.
- The Thunder average 14.8 fast break points per game, which ranks fourth in the NBA. The Hawks rank 24th in fast break points allowed per game (13.1).
- Oklahoma City averages 8.9 steals per game, which ranks first in the NBA. Atlanta ranks 27th in steals allowed per game (8.7).
- The Thunder average 15.0 second chance points per game, which ranks first in the league. The Hawks rank 25th in second chance points allowed per game (13.3).
- The Hawks average 30.3 three pointers per game, which ranks 10th in the NBA. The Thunder rank 24th in three pointers allowed per game (30.6).
- Oklahoma City averages 18.4 points off turnovers per game, which ranks second in the league. Atlanta ranks 25th in points off turnovers allowed per game (17.8).
- Atlanta is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders, 1 over and 1 push in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Oklahoma City is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Hawks’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 10.4, up from 5.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Thunder have scored an average of 107.4 points per game (0.7 above their season average) and allowed an average of 102.4 points per game (1.2 below their season average).