It will be a contest between two superb defenses when the 12th-ranked Maryland Terrapins (12-2, 2-1 Big 10) meet the 11th-ranked Ohio State Buckeyes (11-3, 1-2 Big 10) at Xfinity Center. The game will air on ESPN at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 7, 2020.
Ohio State Buckeyes vs. Maryland Terrapins Betting Odds
In their last outing, the Terrapins defeated the Indiana Hoosiers, 75-59, while the Buckeyes were beaten by the Wisconsin Badgers, 61-57.
Maryland dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a great turnover percentage of 8.8 (better than their season average of 15.3) and a free throw rate of 0.339 (above their season average of 0.288). For those same stats, Indiana had marks of 16.9 and 0.180, respectively. Ohio State, meanwhile, did a terrific job of making free throws (13-17; 76.5 percent). Jalen Smith had a good outing for Maryland, putting up 19 points and eight rebounds. Ohio State received a boost from Kaleb Wesson, who contributed 22 points and 13 rebounds.
The Terrapins dominated this series last year, taking both games. In the most recent game, Maryland won 72-62. Maryland was effective at getting to and converting from the charity stripe. The Terrapins made 20 of their 25 free throws (80.0 percent), while the Buckeyes were just 5-7 (71.4 percent). This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
Points could be at a premium in this matchup between a pair of the country’s top defenses. Maryland currently ranks 25th in defensive efficiency (88.0) and Ohio State is 17th (86.5). Moreover, the Buckeyes are among the nation’s elite at getting to the line, ranking eighth in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.304). The Terrapins, meanwhile, rank 25th in opponents’ FTA rate (0.156).
Ohio State at Maryland Betting Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Maryland, ATS Winner – Maryland, O/U – Under
- Ohio State ranks 14th in blocks allowed per game (2.2) while Maryland ranks 133rd (4.1).
- The Buckeyes rank 129th in three pointers attempted per game (22.7) while the Terrapins rank 188th in three pointers allowed per game (23.5).
- Ohio State ranks 41st in rebounds allowed per game (31.9) while Maryland ranks 93rd (33.6).
- The Buckeyes rank 15th in assists allowed per game (9.3) while the Terrapins rank 96th (12.0).
- Ohio State ranks 13th in steals allowed per game (4.7) while Maryland ranks 73rd (6.0).
- During their last five games, the Terrapins have scored an average of 67.0 points per game (8.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 63.0 points per game (1.2 above their season average).
- The Buckeyes’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 2.6, down from 17.8 for the season.