MAC foes will battle when the Akron Zips (9-9, 2-4 MAC) go head-to-head with the Ohio Bobcats (9-9, 2-4 MAC) at James A. Rhodes Arena. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 145 points with Akron opening as a 2-point favorite. Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 23, 2018.
Ohio Bobcats at Akron Zips Free Preview
The last time the Bobcats played, they beat the Eastern Michigan Eagles, 72-66. Jordan Dartis was the top scorer from either team with 24 points on 8-for-12 shooting. Ohio dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.340 (above their season average of 0.211) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.596 (above their season average of 0.497). Eastern Michigan had marks of 0.231 and 0.519, respectively, for those same stats.
The Zips hope to maintain momentum after topping the Northern Illinois Huskies in their last outing, 82-67. Jimond Ivey played a key role for Akron with 15 points, 10 rebounds and five assists. The Zips, who came into the game averaging an effective field goal percentage of 0.516, had an extraordinary mark of 0.664, while the Huskies had a turnover percentage of 19.3 (above their season average of 15.1).
It could be a tough game for Akron on the offensive glass. The Zips rank 215th in offensive rebounding percentage (28.4 percent), while Ohio ranks 55th in defensive rebounding percentage (74.5 percent).
Of Ohio’s 13 games that accepted bets, seven have finished over the O/U total, while 9 of Akron’s 16 games have finished under the O/U total. Both teams have respectable straight up (SU) records (9-9 for Ohio; 9-9 for Akron), but the Zips have the advantage against the spread (ATS). Akron is 7-9 ATS, while the Bobcats are 5-6-2.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. The Bobcats won the most recent game 85-70. Ohio did a fantastic job of getting to and converting from the charity stripe (30-38; 78.9 percent). Akron, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (25.6 vs. 13.8).
Ohio Bobcats at Akron Zips ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Akron, ATS Winner – Akron, O/U – Under
- Ohio is 3-3-2 ATS on the road, while Akron is 5-3 ATS at home.
- In 8 road games, the Bobcats have 5 overs and 3 unders.
- The Zips have 5 overs and 3 unders in 8 home games.
- Akron ranks 28th in three pointers attempted per game (26.6) while Ohio ranks 235th in three pointers allowed per game (24.4).
- The Zips rank 98th in rebounds allowed per game (33.8) while the Bobcats rank 243rd (38.9).
- Ohio ranks 48th in steals allowed per game (5.4) while Akron ranks 89th (6.1).
- Akron is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Ohio is 2-2-1 ATS with 5 unders.
- The Zips average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 4.2, up from 1.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bobcats have scored an average of 68.8 points per game (6.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 74.0 points per game (1.1 below their season average).