A six-game home winning streak is on the line for the Marshall Thundering Herd (7-3) when they welcome the Ohio Bobcats (5-4) to Henderson Center. Marshall is a 2.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 173 points. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 16, 2017.
Ohio Bobcats vs. Marshall Thundering Herd ATS Preview
The last time the Bobcats played, they were victorious over the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers, 89-84. Mike Laster was the top scorer from either team with 23 points on 8-for-11 shooting. Ohio played a nearly perfect game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.554 (above their season average of 0.169) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 28.1 (above their season average of 21.4). Western Kentucky was 0.221 and 27.5, respectively, for those same stats.
The Thundering Herd come in on a high note after topping the Toledo Rockets in their last game, 93-87. Marshall’s Ajdin Penava played a pivotal role with 24 points and eight rebounds. The Thundering Herd forced 18 turnovers and had a better effective field goal percentage (0.544 vs. 0.516).
There could be plenty of transition action in this meeting that showcases a pair of the NCAA’s more fast-paced teams. Marshall ranks fourth in possessions per game (77.6) and Ohio is 10th (72.7) since last season.
Both of these teams tend to finish over the projected point total. Games involving Ohio have finished over 100.0 percent of the time, while Marshall games have gone over 57.1 percent of the time. The Thundering Herd come into this game with a sizable advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 7-3 SU and 3-4 ATS, while the Bobcats are 5-4 SU and 2-3-1 ATS.
Jon Elmore has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Marshall, averaging 24.4 points, 8.6 assists and 2.8 steals per game.
The Thundering Herd won the lone game against the Bobcats last season, 98-88. The Thundering Herd played a nearly perfect game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.391 and a superb effective field goal percentage of 0.570. For those same stats, the Bobcats were 0.230 and 0.480, respectively.
Ohio Bobcats at Marshall Thundering Herd ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Ohio, ATS Winner – Ohio, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Bobcats rank 110th in assists per game (13.7) while the Thundering Herd rank 220th in assists allowed per game (15.2).
- Ohio ranks 22nd in steals allowed per game (5.7) while Marshall ranks 91st (6.1).
- Marshall ranks 35th in three pointers attempted per game (27.2) while Ohio ranks 234th in three pointers allowed per game (22.6).
- The Bobcats average 37.1 rebounds per game, which ranks 78th in the NCAA. The Thundering Herd rank 259th in rebounds allowed per game (41.8).
- Marshall averages 4.3 blocks per game, which ranks 16th in the NCAA. Ohio ranks 169th in blocks allowed per game (3.1).