Expect a high-scoring game when the Oakland Golden Grizzlies (13-8, 5-3 Hor) and the Northern Kentucky Norse (14-6, 7-1 Hor) go head-to-head at BB&T Arena. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 157 points with Northern Kentucky opening as a 7.5-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 9 p.m. ET on Friday, January 26, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPNU.
Oakland Golden Grizzlies vs. Northern Kentucky Norse Betting Preview
The Golden Grizzlies defeated the Detroit Titans in their last matchup, 92-86. Kendrick Nunn was the top scorer from either team with 38 points on 12-for-26 shooting. The Golden Grizzlies held the Titans to an offensive rebounding percentage of 12.9 (below their season average of 28.4). The Titans had a free throw rate of 0.143 (below their season average of 0.238).
In the Norse’s last matchup, they beat the Green Bay Phoenix, 77-65. With 16 points on 7-for-18 shooting, Lavone Holland II led Northern Kentucky in scoring. The Norse forced 19 turnovers and held the Phoenix to an offensive rebounding percentage of 22.6 (below their season average of 28.6).
The high-octane offense of Northern Kentucky will face off against the bottom-tier defense of Oakland. The Norse currently rank 48th in offensive efficiency, while the Golden Grizzlies are 272nd in defensive efficiency. The Norse figure to have the edge on that side of the ball.
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Oakland games have gone over 55.6 percent of the time, while 58.8 percent of games featuring Northern Kentucky have finished under. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Norse have a significant advantage. They are 14-6 SU and 12-5 ATS, while the Golden Grizzlies are 13-8 SU and 6-12 ATS.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to put up 170 points, which was over the projected point total of 161. The Norse won 87-83, covering as 3-point underdogs. Northern Kentucky out-rebounded Oakland. The Norse had more offensive rebounds (11 vs. four), defensive rebounds (27 vs. 21) and total rebounds (38 vs. 25). Carson Williams was a top performer in the victory, with 21 points and nine rebounds.
Oakland Golden Grizzlies vs. Northern Kentucky Norse Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Northern Kentucky, ATS Winner – Northern Kentucky, O/U – Under
- The Norse average 35.8 rebounds per game, which ranks 149th in the nation. The Golden Grizzlies rank 202nd in rebounds allowed per game (36.6).
- Oakland is 27th in the nation with 18.6 three pointers allowed per game while Northern Kentucky is 46th with 19.6 three pointers allowed per game.
- Oakland is 4-7 ATS on the road with 6 unders and 5 overs.
- Northern Kentucky is 5-2 ATS at home with 5 unders and 2 overs.
- Northern Kentucky ranks 15th in steals per game (8.4) while Oakland ranks 181st in steals allowed per game (7.9).
- The Norse average 16.9 assists per game, which ranks 29th in the NCAA. The Golden Grizzlies rank 188th in assists allowed per game (14.6).
- Oakland ranks 19th in blocks per game (5.4) while Northern Kentucky ranks 133rd in blocks allowed per game (3.9).
- Northern Kentucky is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Oakland is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Norse’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 10.6, down from 14.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Golden Grizzlies have scored an average of 85.4 points per game (3.7 above their season average) and allowed an average of 78.0 points per game (1.6 below their season average).