The Notre Dame Fighting Irish (13-8, 3-5 ACC) will try to put an end to their five-game losing streak when they clash against the No. 5 Duke Blue Devils (18-3, 6-3 ACC) at Cameron Indoor Stadium. Duke is a 14.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 150 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Monday, January 29, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish at Duke Blue Devils Odds Preview
The Fighting Irish lost to the Virginia Tech Hokies in their last matchup, 80-75. Notre Dame’s John Mooney contributed 15 points and 11 rebounds in the contest. Virginia Tech was lights out from beyond the arc (14-25; 56.0 percent). Notre Dame, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 40.5 (above their season average of 32.1).
In the Blue Devils last game, they were topped by the No. 2 Virginia Cavaliers, 65-63. Marvin Bagley III was the top scorer from either team with 30 points on 13-for-18 shooting. Virginia had a turnover percentage of 6.7 (better than their season average of 13.5). Duke, meanwhile, held the Cavaliers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 23.8 (below the 28.9 mark opponents have averaged against Duke this season).
This showdown figures to be a high-scoring affair as two of the NCAA’s top offenses clash. Duke ranks second with 124.0 points per 100 possessions and Notre Dame is 35th (114.2). Additionally, the Fighting Irish rank 15th in turnover percentage (15.5 percent), while the Blue Devils rank 290th in opponents turnover percentage (17.2 percent).
Of Notre Dame’s 16 games with betting action, eight have finished over the projected point total, while 13 of Duke’s 19 games have finished over the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Blue Devils have a sizable advantage. They are 18-3 SU and 12-7 ATS, while the Fighting Irish are 13-8 SU and 7-9 ATS.
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Fighting Irish, it’s been Martinas Geben, who has averaged 13.2 points, 11.6 rebounds, 1.2 steals and 1.2 blocks, while the Blue Devils have gotten solid contributions from Wendell Carter Jr. (16.8 points, 10.4 rebounds, 2.2 blocks and 1.4 steals).
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year, after the Blue Devils won both meetings last season. In the last matchup, Duke won 75-69. Duke’s 0.657 effective field goal percentage was its largest advantage over Notre Dame, who had a rate of 0.448.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish vs. Duke Blue Devils Prediction
Free College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Duke, ATS Winner – Duke, O/U – Under
- The Fighting Irish average 22.5 three pointers per game, which ranks 118th in the nation. The Blue Devils rank 203rd in three pointers allowed per game (23.4).
- Duke ranks 36th in steals per game (7.7) while Notre Dame ranks 88th (6.7).
- Notre Dame is 5-4 ATS on the road with 6 unders and 3 overs.
- At home, Duke is 5-4 ATS with 5 overs and 4 unders.
- Duke ranks fourth in assists per game (19.0) while Notre Dame ranks 147th in assists allowed per game (13.7).
- The Blue Devils rank second in rebounds per game (43.0) while the Fighting Irish rank 102nd in rebounds allowed per game (33.9).
- Duke averages 5.4 blocks per game, which ranks 18th in the nation. Notre Dame ranks 110th in blocks allowed per game (3.5).
- Duke is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Notre Dame is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Blue Devils average margin of victory in their last five games has been 13.0, down from 18.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Fighting Irish have scored an average of 66.4 points per game (10.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 71.6 points per game (5.7 above their season average).