Expect a low-scoring game when the Northwestern Wildcats (5-3, 1-0 Big 10) and Purdue Boilermakers (7-2, 1-0 Big 10) square off at Mackey Arena. Action begins at 4 p.m. ET on Sunday, December 3, 2017.
Northwestern Wildcats vs. Purdue Boilermakers ATS Preview
In the Wildcats last contest, they were victorious over the Illinois Fighting Illini, 72-68. Scottie Lindsey was the top scorer from either team with 22 points on 6-for-17 shooting. The Wildcats forced 19 turnovers and held the Fighting Illini to an effective field goal percentage of 0.443 (below their season average of 0.509).
The Boilermakers come in on a high note after defeating the Maryland Terrapins in their last contest, 80-75. Purdue’s Dakota Mathias had a solid performance, putting up 20 points, nine assists and five rebounds. Purdue’s 0.594 effective field goal percentage was their largest strength over Maryland, who had a rate of 0.429. The Boilermakers mark was above their season average of 0.578, while the Terrapins’ was below their season average of 0.578.
It will be a matchup of contrasting tempos as the fast-paced Boilermakers will look to push the more methodical Wildcats. Since last season, the Boilermakers rank 52nd in possessions per game while the Wildcats are 313th.
Of Northwestern’s 6 games that accepted bets, three have finished over the projected point total, while 5 of Purdue’s 8 games have finished over the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Boilermakers have a significant advantage. They are 7-2 SU and 6-2 ATS, while the Wildcats are 5-3 SU and 1-5 ATS.
The Boilermakers won both games against the Wildcats last season. In the most recent matchup, Purdue won 69-65. Converting at the free throw line was one of Purdue’s largest strengths. They were 17-19 (89.5 percent), while the Wildcats were just 7-10 (70.0 percent).
Northwestern Wildcats vs. Purdue Boilermakers Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Purdue, ATS Winner – Northwestern, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Boilermakers rank 138th in steals per game (5.4) while the Wildcats rank 257th (5.2).
- Purdue averages 18.3 assists per game, which ranks third in the NCAA. Northwestern ranks 95th in assists allowed per game (12.3).
- Northwestern ranks 53rd in three pointers allowed per game (19.2) while Purdue ranks 260th (21.3).
- The Boilermakers rank fifth in blocks per game (3.2) while the Wildcats rank 181st in blocks allowed per game (3.6).
- Purdue ranks 28th in rebounds per game (38.0) while Northwestern ranks 190th (35.4).